Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company has a machine shop in the back for making parts and i brought my short shifter in today and asked if they could re-grind it and cut it down to make it sit lower...sure enough he took it and handed it back to me 15 minutes later with 2 inches less on it. Im so siked. Will post pics of the shifter in a few minutes.

· Registered
62 Posts
Re: lucky man

94gsrsol said:
must be nice, having a machine shop handy is always helpful when building a real car.

Right on:D
Seriously... The rest of us have to resort to gnawing it off... :D

Looks really professionally done too! Damn, a whole 2 inches!!!

· Registered
154 Posts
man i WISH i had access to a shop like that !

The last moron who owned my car took the stock shifter and hacksawed 3" off of it ! I couldn't get the shiftknob to fit worth a damn (he tried epoxy glue and duct tape plus set screws, it wore off) and I finally replaced the whole thing with a DC short shifter. But i do miss that little tiny stick.....

· Registered
62 Posts
southernsol said:
man i WISH i had access to a shop like that !

The last moron who owned my car took the stock shifter and hacksawed 3" off of it ! I couldn't get the shiftknob to fit worth a damn (he tried epoxy glue and duct tape plus set screws, it wore off) and I finally replaced the whole thing with a DC short shifter. But i do miss that little tiny stick.....
Hahahahaha... Talk about your DIY short-shifter! He should've wrote up a DIY guide! :p

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The modded short shifter goes in today!!

Will take pics of the regular size short shifter that is currently in, and pic of the modded short shifter after installation.

Stay tuned!!

next i think im gonna have the machine shop mod some mounts for an amp rack i have designed. :)

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot the damn digital camera when i was installing the new modded shifter. However, it IS installed now, and i have only great things to say about it!

All in all, doing this short shifter install myself (over having the body shop do the swap again) i was able to take my time and do the swap with tender loving care! The shifter is smoother shifting, its at an incredibly comfortable new height, and the 3rd gear synchros seem to be back in alignment.

All from cutting a short shifter down to a lower profile, and adjusting the pivot bolt at the base of the shifter lever!

I highly recommend taking your short shifter to a local metal shop or machine shop and have them grind and cut the height down, and re-cut the threads in with a die cutter.

I will try to get pics of the installed short shifter and the old short shifter that this one replaced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.