Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok an update on my problem with my GSR: I called today and cancelled the appt with the Acura dealer that wanted to charge me $300 for a valve adjustment. He told me that my #1, #3, and #4 cylinders were showing 165-170 psi on the compression check, and that the #2 cylinder was showing about 125 psi. The car is still running rough on idle, and still is NOT smoking. And the malfunction lamp is still going off, which the Acura service guy told me was cause it was reading a misfire on the #2 cylinder.

Now I got to looking in my Haynes Integra manual, and it said if you check the compression and one of the cylinders is about 20% less than the others, AND you have a slightly rough idle, that the exhaust lobe on the camshaft COULD be worn. This sounds like EXACTLY what I have.

Anyone had any experience with this? If this is the problem how expensive is this, and how hard to do is it?

· Registered
312 Posts
Hey

im having the same problems, im trying to find a solution!

but my cylinders are far worse than yours!

my compression was totally bad, very low. but cylinder 3 was at 30PSI. and the haynes manual said it could be the piston rings gone bad... i hope its just the head! valves i dont care but i dont wanna do pistons!

any luck finding a solution?

oh yea my head leaks, its been taken apart before. but no water gets in the oil

· Registered
2,107 Posts
BamaGSR said:
Ok an update on my problem with my GSR: I called today and cancelled the appt with the Acura dealer that wanted to charge me $300 for a valve adjustment. He told me that my #1, #3, and #4 cylinders were showing 165-170 psi on the compression check, and that the #2 cylinder was showing about 125 psi. The car is still running rough on idle, and still is NOT smoking. And the malfunction lamp is still going off, which the Acura service guy told me was cause it was reading a misfire on the #2 cylinder.

Now I got to looking in my Haynes Integra manual, and it said if you check the compression and one of the cylinders is about 20% less than the others, AND you have a slightly rough idle, that the exhaust lobe on the camshaft COULD be worn. This sounds like EXACTLY what I have.

Anyone had any experience with this? If this is the problem how expensive is this, and how hard to do is it?
just get a replacement camshaft if that's the problem and get the car timed again...now would be a really good time to think about aftermarket cams (but high lift and duration also gives lumpy idles so remember that heh)....not that a lumpy idle is bad on a cam that is SUPPOSED to produce those results :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.