Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worst Nightmare Ever.. Warning for all CA drivers

I just got pulled over on I-80 by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). I got cited for a modified exhaust (Apexi N1), modified intake (DC Sports DAC), front plate and cop was all explaining about going to state ref and having them check my car inside and out. WTF?!?!?! Said I had to put everything to stock!! Told her my stuff was carb exempt and she said it's not because she took a class about modifying cars!!!! WTF? Now they're taking classes on this shit? Said anything done to exhaust system is illegal even if it's quiet and passes smog!!! WTF... Thousands of $ down the toilet because some cop had to profile an Asian in an import. Had to be profiling because first thing she asked was, "Pop your hood." I mean, at least ask for license and reg first. But nope, she didn't. What a fucking day....

Oh yea, at the end asked her why she pulled me over... said there was a new law against modfied cars in California. Fucking California. Bet dumb meat head Arnold dumbass had something to do with passing that law. What a bitch.

One more thing.. anyone from CA in Fairfield area? Wondering if you might know the court or cops here....

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
If your intake is CARB exempt then the fix-it ticket she wrote you is BS....also...the exhaust has a sound limit...but you can have any catback setup you want...it doesn't affect emissions in any way.

I'd learn about contesting this crap. This thread should be moved over to the law enforcement section where you might get better help

·
Registered
864 Posts
Contact the manufacturers to get a CARB exemption sheet or whatever, something to prove that the product is CARB exempt, and that should get those thrown out. If they are CARB exempt, the cops cannot do anything about them. They CAN get you, however, for a noise violation for your exhaust (I know the N1 is loud).

Also, contact a lawyer or clerk or courts or someone and ask about this "new law" about modifying cars. I'm sure the cop you pulled you over has a slightly modified car anyways.

·
Registered
79 Posts
wth? so she (the cop) pulled you over and said for you to pop your hood because of a new law? sounds like bs to me and I live in ca. whats to outline a moded car? if she can say your car is modded just from the looks and sounds, what's keeping her from saying that a car with a ricer body kit is modded? and isnt there a law saing that cops have to have a reaonable suspisionbefore searching? come on if she can tell you to pop your hood then shes basically searching your car. Well, this happened to a prelude memeber on the socal prelude forum, but nothing was given to him. He was pulled over for expired tags but was let go becuase the officer forgot his book or something. i forgot.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
crdcz03 said:
i dont understand why people mod cars in cali... seems like more of a hassle than anything else.
Cali has weird state laws and stuff....but it does depend where you live regarding some things. For example I got a fix-it ticket here in Oregon for not having my front license plate (everyone knows it looks so much cleaner not having your front plate on)....and my friend in Cali has been driving a lowered black si for like 4 years WITHOUT the front plate and hasn't ever been pulled over for it.

ugh!

·
Registered
888 Posts
man that's pretty shitty. i pretty much researched before i mod my car. ive got pulled over for the same reasons like you but they let me go. for example: intake is aem with carb sticker, dc headers with carb sticker, greddy sp with legal paper stating its below 95db. jrsc with carb sticker. msd igniton with carb sticker. so they got nothing on me. :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
here's a question I've alwasys wondered, does all that apply to cars that drive into Cali for tourism? Like if a car is registered and plated from Colorado or Indiana or someplace. Can they ticket you for mods even though you've got out of state tags?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Cops here are being a pain as well, but Cali laws are stupid. Listen, what the guys mentioned above are great advises. The carb approval stickers and papers, you need to do this... but cops will still give you a hard time for your exhaust. There is something you can do about it...but requires a little time. I did it to a friend and no problems. Our exhaust are pretty loud and you can make an electronic throttle after the cat or before the exhaust to make it quieter. In other words imagine your intake throttle inner plate, is something similar, just a servo motor ($11.00 at RadioShack with a three terminal switch) and a plate of the internal diameter of the pipe. The inner throttle plate you make holes to it all around it. When there are cops around or being pulled over with a press of a button (hidden of course) the throttle will close permitting exhaust flow but it restricts it and the decibels go way down, like a silencer but better. I rather this than a silencer that all the time you are installing and uninstalling... but here is another great option to go to court with the same exhaust and different decibels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Apex...42610QQitemZ7988743717QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

If you need details about this mod I'll be glad to help, is very simple. :number1

·
Registered
879 Posts
cops are like that, they do not care if it's CARB exempt or not, in fact, there's really no citation # for the exhaust beside the noise, which you can easily knock it off by going to a referee and take the noise dB test

i went twice, once with my old N1 and then my Greddy, with silencer my N1 passed with 93.5dB, and my Greddy was slightly higer than 95 without silencer

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know what you guys mean! I used to live in Ohio and had to pass an E-check evey 2 years. I moved to Florida, no emissions testing, no front plate needed, and I don't see many imports pulled over ever. I lived here for 3 and 1/2 years and drive 30+ miles to and from work on the busiest highway in Orlando. The only downfall I've seen is without such laws, you get a lot of sh*t-bags in cars that have business being the road. I've seen peices/parts fall from such cars, and just yestersday some humpty/crumpty driving 50+ mph on a flat and wouldn't pull over to change it, prob. didn't even have a spare???

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Sodikai said:
here's a question I've alwasys wondered, does all that apply to cars that drive into Cali for tourism? Like if a car is registered and plated from Colorado or Indiana or someplace. Can they ticket you for mods even though you've got out of state tags?
Yup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp

I found a link explaining the recent jump in citations. When I asked around, lots of people have been pulled over, impounded, etc. What a joke. Thought Cali was the most free and liberal state. My ass.

I'll try that bypass thing.. weird thing is.. cop was about 4 football fields behind me.. so I don't think she could hear it.. also, I sprayed my entire exhaust flat black.. how did she see? Only thing she told me was that she saw me switch lanes and noticed my car... I personally think.. profiling imports....

Oh yea, if you read the article, states so many parts about profiling... "to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars"

and

"look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment."

Anyone think bullshit?

·
Registered
255 Posts
another thing thats bull shit, whens the last time youve heard of a domestic guy w/ a loud as magnaflow or flowmaster get pulled over for their shit. i guess cops think those cars come stock with loud exhaust or something, i have friends with 5.0's and trans ams and their shits louder than mine.

i live in florida and ive gotten shit about my exhaust, the cop said i couldnt have ANYTHING aftermarket on the car (exhaust wise). BS! im switching to a stock looking Apexi WS in a week so hopefully thatll help, right now i have a huge N1 stlye canister.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.