Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is what i am thinking, i have got a friend who knows of a Civic LX with a cam gear set to give him low end torque and power, and he says that the LX takes his SI off the line everytime. Well my question is would a cam gear set for low end, and 4-1 headers work to give me some nice gains through out my powerband, or at least would the headers be enough to off set what was lost with the cam gear?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so it sounds like you think that they would basically cancel each other out. I understand that in principal, but im pretty sure thats not what happens because a 4-1 header is supposed to just add to the top end, and you arent supposed to lose any bottom end, so its seems like if i gain on the bottom with the gear, then i should be able to at least make up what i lost with the header.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I did agree to that possibility, I was just stating that anything can happen. The only way to find out I guess is to put it on and see! I would anyways. Sometimes 4-1 headers have been shown to make as much low end as the 4-2-1 types so you might be better off in the end with that setup.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't mess with the timing with out tuning. Your going to end up messing something up.

Second of all, just because your friend can take an Si off the line, really means nothing. Maybe the guy in the Si can't drive very well...

BTW: An LX makes just as much if not a tiny bit more HP then an Si does till about 4000RPM according to the comptech dynos. Then by about 5200RPM you peak at 99WHP, at that point the Si is just about to hit VTEC and is on its way to its 142 WHP peak, and thats when you get spanked by it!!!

So just because your friend can take an Si off the line really means nothing, so I would not change my timing just on that.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Those are good points. The Si has a VERY short stroke, which is not condusive to good launching but is better for high revs. In fact the LX stroke is a full 1/2" longer than the Si!!! Si peak torque is only like 7lb/ft higher than the Y7 motor, and as stated the Y7 develops it lower in the powerband.

My advice is to take the money you would've spent on the cam gear and get your flywheel lightened by 5lbs, then take the money you would've spent on the header and by an EX tranny. You will probably shave a half-second off your 0-60 times with that tranny. You will run alongside the Si for a lot longer with just that than with the header & gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts