Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people,

i just installed a new amp and new 6x9's onto my stock head unit in my accord ex v6.... and i got the usual problems of doing so, namely, the turn on and off pop, hissing, and engine whining noise... my amp has high level inputs so thats how i connected the radio to the amp (through existing speaker wires) .... so now my question is.... instead of buying a delayed turn on module, a delayed turn off module, a noise filter, another grounding cable from the battery to the chasis:

1)would a new head unit solve these problems
2)would a new head unit like the sony cdx-mp70 have a "delayed" remote power feature for the amp to prevent the popping at startup and shutdown of the head unit
3)would using a line level converter eliminate some of the problems
4)would using the rca connections on a new head unit solve some of the issues

thanks guys... i'd really like to put my installation issues to rest....

· Registered
837 Posts
yeah i had the same problem with the speakers poping with my old awia headunit. i got my new panasonic and the problem was solved.

· Registered
604 Posts
Kaiserkho said:
1)would a new head unit solve these problems
2)would a new head unit like the sony cdx-mp70 have a "delayed" remote power feature for the amp to prevent the popping at startup and shutdown of the head unit
3)would using a line level converter eliminate some of the problems
4)would using the rca connections on a new head unit solve some of the issues
1. Maybe and maybe not.

2. Nope, the popping sound is sometimes called "turn on thump" and it's usually caused by the amplifier.

3. Nope. This is only if the amp doesn't have speaker-level inputs.

4. Maybe. Using interconnects provides a higher signal-to-noise ratio and makes the sound quality better. Using good quality cables might reduce the background hiss.

To get ride of the engine whine, check the grounds on the head unit and amp. Make sure to run interconnects and power on opposite sides of the car. If your head unit has line-level outputs (RCA jacks); if they're adjustable make sure they're set almost as high as possible so you get a higher voltage signal (improves S/N ratio).

· Registered
3,194 Posts
a few things that would help are checking the connections for the amps that you already have(I.E. make sure the ground is as short as possible, the better the ground the better also, it's best to use a bolt for the ground, something you can wrench down on, not jsut a self tapping sheet metal screw). If you're using line level convertors try using the lines that are the closest to the amp, like if your amp is in the trunk, tap off of the rear speakers for imputs so you only have a few feet of RCA before the amp. Aslo low quality line convertors are the cause of many problems. Try a different set of RCAs, and try to run them as far away from teh power wire as possible. I've done many setups using the stock decks that sound absolutely fantastic, it's just how you put them together that decides weather you're going to succeed or not.

Another not, if you hook the stock deck to power the speakers do you get engine whine? to you get turn on pop? If not, changing your deck won't helps that much.

What is you exact setup right now? What amp, what line convertors, and what RCAs?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK .... when i connect my stock head unit to the aftermarket rockford fosgate 6x9s they sound great... no engine whine, no hiss.... no popping noises..... after i connect the head unit to the rockford fosgate punch 100.2 amplifier via high level input, then i get the popping, the hiss, and the engine whine.... the power cable is run down the driver side of the car... no rca connectors used yet, only factory speaker high level inputs into the amp.... and i didn't install line converters yet.....

· Registered
604 Posts
Grab a set of good quality interconnects and use that for your signal line. Run them down the pass side and do what you can to keep them away from the ECU in the pass side kickpanel.

· Registered
274 Posts
With the setup you have, you should have minimal problems and engine noise.

Where and how have you grounded the amp and what size power/ground cable did you use? Also, where and how is the amp mounted. In some cases, if the amp is screwed down to metal on the car and the amp's ground is connected at a different point, this can great a ground loop and introduce engine noise.

I too have used stock stereos with aftermarket amps and they've worked great.

· Registered
2,618 Posts
if it keeps cutting off it can be the connector that the deck is conneted to. in my 91 the grey connector from the car to the deck was faulty...common problem in accords and civics....i just bypassed it and got rid of the grey thing and now im fine..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.