Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, in need of some advice here. i have an 88 crx dx and i'm looking to make her a bit quicker. i've wondered into my local speedshops, but you know how that goes... they always want you to give them tons of money for shit you don't necessarily need.

i'll be getting a few grand in a week or so, and i've been mulling this over. at first i wanted to do the everybodys-momma-has-one b16 swap. then i got to thinking... would it be better to just rebuild my d15b2? instead of swapping in a motor that has a questionable history, i could have my current block rebuilt with new pistons, cams, etc. from what i've heard, my block's pretty strong in case i turbo later. you guys have any ideas on this?

i know i'd need to do the dpfi-mpfi swap, that's a given. i also plan on running new exhaust 2 1/2", (does my car need a cat? or is it just for smog crap - i live in wa, and it's not a concern). what else do i need to look for and/or do?

along with ideas, parts lists would also be great... thanks guys

oh and one other question (as if there aren't enough already :p )
what do you all think of the gude head kits? they offer a setup for 1450 that includes the following:

1. p&p head with racing valve grind and high compression chambers
2. bullfrog/stinger race cam
3. flow ported intake manifold

doesn't sound too impressive to me, but i dunno. whatduya think?

·
Registered
471 Posts
i haven't swaped a motor, but i have read alot on b16 swap. pretty extensive, lot of work. You need a mount kit, etc. a b16 is great if that's what your looking for, a nice peppy engine in a light car. I hear j-spec b16's haul major ass with lsd. you could rebuild your block and it would run faster, and be easyer and cheaper. never used any gude prouducts.

·
Registered
614 Posts
This is a D-series tech.. if infinatenexus comes in here and hears this.. all of you will be lorena bobisized!!!

I say rebuild ur current engine, the gude package is a great kit, ive heard great things about it. B16 are great engines as well, but u should have asked this in the CIvic Tech.. not D-series if you are questioning on engines. I am playing to rebuild my d-series and change pistons and cams to get higher comp. Just ask infinatenexus.. he will tell you whats up.

·
Registered
614 Posts
kommon_sense said:
I haven't gone over to the darkside :), but gotta admit that the b16a1 is worth considering for his setup.
I agree but he mentioned that everybody has one, and there is a reason to it. He wants to stand out and be different. It is also a good feeling when you D15b2 Rapes a b16. Its like.. yeah... i got a small dick but i fucked the finest bitch alive, and who did u fuck, ur next door neighbors grandma??!! LMAO! sort of

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sev_civic said:
I agree but he mentioned that everybody has one, and there is a reason to it. He wants to stand out and be different. It is also a good feeling when you D15b2 Rapes a b16. Its like.. yeah... i got a small dick but i fucked the finest bitch alive, and who did u fuck, ur next door neighbors grandma??!! LMAO! sort of
:tu2:

agreed!

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Sev_civic said:
I understand what you are saying however my thinking is like this... Who cares about being different... Get the right tool for the job... I'm not going to buy a screwdriver to drive in a nail when a hammer costs the same amount just for the sake of being different. Maybe that is just the old guy in me speaking.

With that being said, I'm keeping my y8, cause its still the best tool for the job :)

If he can get more for his money by sticking with the d-series, then by all means, stick with the d. I'm just not into all of this "My D16 beat your B16" nonsense.

·
Registered
501 Posts
in this section of Superhonda we are going to promote the D sereis, of course.

but what it really comes down to is what your goal is for the car. Take a look at what you want as for performance then take a look at how much it will cost you. An engine swap =$$. Bolt ons = $$. Turbo set up = $$. n2o = $$. NA set up = $$$. I know this is over simplistic but it is the best way to start a plan of action.

Then cut that number in half and look at it again. It is a simple reality that with our cars other things should be done with upgrading the car. You may very well want to improve suspension, brakes, wheels, cosmetics, etc. If you only plan one aspect of the car you will fall short so take into account the overall aspect, plan out how to get to your goal, and go from there.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Don't get me wrong.. not knocking the d-series in any way. I love mine and have no plans to get rid of it. Just throwing other cost effective options out there.

Anyways, back to the original posters questions...

A 2.5" exhaust is too big for a NA sohc. Go with 2.25" mandrel bent, and maybe a high flow cat. I'm not sure what header options are out there for you.

I know next to nothing about the d15b2, so please excuse my ignorance. However since you are already planning on rebuilding, have you considered going with an d16a6 block, rebuilding it and sticking on a y8 or z6 head?

I would avoid the gude headwork. I've heard a few good stories, but a lot more horror stories. Check out www.hondaraceengines.com .

·
Registered
501 Posts
agreed. go with a a6 block w/ z6 or y8 head.

header (assuming non-turbo) best = bisimoto IMO but there are a ton out there!!

there are better ways to go than bullfrog

fro the ported IM, you will better suited to get a y8 spend some money for the Skunk2.

However I would like to point out the 88 does have good posibilities of with motor swaps but it all depends on what YOU wantand how much $$ you want to spend.

Im sure kommon_sense will agree with me that these "toys" get extreley expensive real fast!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Sev_civic said:
haha i have to agree with that..

But how about spending the extra money and swapping an h22 into the crx, just a thought, what would be the cons if he were to do that, besides a whole lot more money.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
kommon_sense said:
I would be worried about throwing off the balance of the car. The CRX is extremely light and the h22 would add probably 200+ lbs to the front end that it never had before.
thats the one thing i did think about. But ive heard of people adding weight to the back to try and even it out, the only thing i think thats wrong with this is the fact that the car is so light it might not be made to handle so much weight, please correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
h22 is too much weight, and having that AND having to add weight to the back of the car kinda defeats the reason of owning a rex. if i wanted a behemoth, i would'a bought a big civic sedan.
i also kinda wanted to avoid a swap in the first place... if i can get decent performance outta my d15, then i'd be happy with that. if i had to swap, i might as well go bigger.

doesn't anyone know to make my b2 faster? couldn't i get better pistons for it? and with the si head (that i'd need for the pgmi-mpfi swap) couldn't i upgrade the cam?

i don't need a 10 second car here, i just want her a little more zippy. any ideas along those lines?

and one other thing... would the 2 1/4 pipe be too small if i decide to turbo later? i'd hate to have an exhaust built only to have to replace it yet again later down the road.

thanks for your input so far guys, keep it coming!

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Everyone claims that you must have 2.5" to 3" for turbo. If you read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, it states that the exhaust must be 10% larger than the turbo outlet. Go with 2.25 and add a straight through muffler when you go turbo. Magnaflow or ES Oval would be a good choice.

On a side note, the dodge srt-4 puts down around 230-240whp with only a 2.25" exhaust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts