Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine said he;s planning to buy a slavage one he saw for about 14k... I told him he's an idiot, since salvage car = shit quality, even if it a honda. And I also told him that if he buy it at 14k, goodluck trying to sell it for 14k again, becuase I imaging a salvage s2000 is about 10k.

Jsut my thoguhts, how would you handle this situation with your friend?

·
Registered
777 Posts
That your friend's decision. His choice, his consequences. As long as you tried to show him otherwise, there's not really much else to do. For some people it's worth it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dj K-otik said:
That your friend's decision. His choice, his consequences. As long as you tried to show him otherwise, there's not really much else to do. For some people it's worth it.
Yeah, he's exactly right. You told your friend what's up and he won't listen...sometimes you have to let people make dumb mistakes so that they learn from it. Depending on what he has to buy to fix the car, he might end up spending as much as it would be for a decent used S2k with no previous damage.

Hopefully he comes to his senses before buying the car. I understand they are nice cars, but I would rather save my money and buy something with a clean history.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
hatchbackgirl said:
Depending on what he has to buy to fix the car, he might end up spending as much as it would be for a decent used S2k with no previous damage.

Very good point, you can find S2k's for 21,000 or less if your patient enough. I'm sure he'll spend that much extra in parts.

·
Registered
412 Posts
VTECFREAK said:
Very good point, you can find S2k's for 21,000 or less if your patient enough. I'm sure he'll spend that much extra in parts.
Exactly. He's going to find out the hard way.... If it has front end damage a pair of OEM headlights would run $500 or more I am sure....and I would consider that one of the "cheaper" things...

·
Registered
89 Posts
just remember that in most states, (that i konw of) if your car is stolen and you don't buy it back the car recieves a salvage title

·
Registered
777 Posts
THE_Loser said:
just remember that in most states, (that i konw of) if your car is stolen and you don't buy it back the car recieves a salvage title
Why would you have to buy back your own car if it was stolen?

A salvage title means that the car been through some shit. Flood damage, previously stripped, bad wreck, something like that.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Salvage doesn't always mean it's been damaged. I found an 01 ITR a while aback selling for about 12K. It was stolen and a lot of the parts were ripped out of it. After bein recovered, the owner replaced all the parts and when he was selling it and it had to go down as a salvage. I don't think it's that common as one that's been in a wreck though, but still S2000 is a high theft item. I'd ask the seller if I was him about what all happened to it. Run a VIN. All the usuall. Anyhow, good luck with your friend.

BTW, no the ITR isn't the one in my sig. Not even mine.

Reactions: VTIR

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
a salvage car aint worth shit... just look around for one that is going for cheap for some menial problems that are cheap to fix... ripped top, scratched paint, badly worn seats, etc... they are out there and waiting...dont get stuck with a car that has serious frame damage or other problems that is going to be a permanant hole in your driveway that you piss cash into and then cant sell for shit... maybe check carfax to find what the reason for the salvage title is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Salvaged Title

12 Actually a Salvaged Title could indicate lots of things. Before calling your friend a dumbass for considering buying a S2000 with a salvaged title the questions are; 1) What is the history of the car? 2) Did he run a CarFax? 3) Was it a recovery theft 4) What is the year of the car, mileage and previous damage if any? 5) What does the car need to make it right if anything>

There are many cars out there with salvaged titles that are excellent buys. A salvage title could be a recovered theft especially of popular cars that offer parts that could be used to upgrade a lower featured model such as an ITR that is stolen and recovered with interior missing, 5 lug suspension engine and tranny stolen. The insurance company will total a car of this value because the factory replacement parts will be higher than the the total value of the car so it will be sold either privately or through an auction site with a salvaged title.

The same hold true for S2000 as their engines are now becoming a hot item for swaps and lets face it the seats are awesome and will fit many other cars on the market.

However if your friend is considering buying a S2000 that is an older model with high miles thats been in a serious accident than why bother? But for those of us who appreciate nice cars but cant afford to plunk down retail value than a car with a salvaged title could be a great alternative especially if the car is a recovered theft with slight body damage. After all many of us plan to upgrade to JDM type modifications anyway so this becomes a great investment.

Just my thgouths and 10cents since I obviously am not scared off b buying a car with a salavged title as it provided me with a sweeeeetttt ITR converted to all JDM interior and exterior for short money and created a nice ride

·
Registered
6 Posts
f20 swaps

I have a friend who is a pretty anal engineer that is tired of the same old swaps and picked up a totalled s2000 and he is planning on doing one into an Integra or Civic he has not decided as of yet and will use the rear wheel drive drivetrain. I will let you know how he comes along as he progresses since he has already bought the S2000 and sold his B18C ITR engine and lsd 5 speed to me which came out of his hatch.

Point is there are good deals out there for any cars besides the S2000 that happen to have a salvaged title. With some homework a buyer can be well informed and save a pile of cash. There are Lamborghinis, Ferraris, BMW all available from salvage auctions and or private sellers.

NalwinsTypeR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Salaved Title ITRs

There are a few ITRs for sale with salvage titles that are currently availabe nationwide at salvage auctions...most that I saw are strictly theft recoveries...what if this S2000 was a theft recovery with a minor fender bender....I would buy it if it was not a high mileage older s2000. Consider this the driveatrain and interior alone can sell for $9000 includes suspension, drivetrain and rear end with front seats. No airbags, no dash no steering column etc,,,,, here is a 2001 f20 on EBAY A 2001 HONDA S2000 SVX 2.0L F20C1 DOHC 16 VALVE ***** MOTOR WITH A 6 SPEED MANUAL TRASMISSION RATED AT 240 H.P. WITH A FACTORY RED LINE OF 9000 RPM'S COMPLETE DROP INCLUDES STARTER,ALTERNATOR,A.C. COMPRESSER,ECU AND WIRE HARNESS

NICE CONDITION STRONG RUNNER

MILIAGE LAST FOUND ON CONSUMERS GUIDE 10 MONTH'S BEFORE WE PURCHASED WAS 19,325

PRICED AT $4899.99

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know if it would be wise to buy a salvage titled car, way too many risks involved. Yes, it might turn out that the engine and everything is fine but what if it's not. Just waste a few thousand more and buy a used one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts