Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name is Teri Brown and I am a published author working on a young adult book that has a street racing/modified car theme and I need some information. The whole crux of the book is a crash that kills the main character's boyfriend. The car is a modified WRX. The main character,(a tuner girl!) worked on the car earlier and added nos... The other car is a Nissan Skyline.

I need to know what can cause a car to crash and burn during a street race... is there anything someone does to intimidate the other racer during the race? Something kind of sketch that most people don't do? If the other racer caused it, that would be perfect... but how?

Would nos installed wrong cause the car to burn after a crash? I need lots of guilt and drama and my knowledge of cars is limited... any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Teri Brown
Read my Lips (Simon Pulse, 2008)

·
Registered
496 Posts
you clould use a classic down hill race, one driver side swipes the other, sideswiped driver goes through gaurd rail then gravity does the rest....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in the circumstances. They are in Seattle, hanging out. The boyfriend, the main character and another friend. The main character and the friend have a good natured argument about their cars, and they decide a race is in order. The main character doesn't want to run her own car because she had recieved a reckless driving ticket the month before and she asks the boyfriend to. (He's a tuner too, so he knows cars) The friend and the boyfriend race while the girl watches. The boyfriend loses control as the girl watches.

Ideally, for the plot, it would be due to some intimidation tactic on the friend's part, but nothing so bad that it wouldn't make sense... do racers ever pretend they are going to sideswipe someone's car to force the other driver to make a mistake or back off?
Teri

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
hmmm... well a side swipe could still cause an accident, and a NOS bottle would blow the car from seattle to hong kong.

girls trying to write a book and you're giving her awful stuff.

couple ways to go about this. here is a good one

other is theres a pot hole in the road and the driver doesn't see it. hits it and breaks the front driver side lower control arm at oh I guess 100 mph. he wrecks it however you want it to go. i would have it careen to the left into the ditch dirt catches the wheels and flips a few times and catch on fire and he dies.

but the video is the best one since the other driver forces him into the guard rail he over corrects then careens to the opposite side and flips the catches on fire.

it wouldn't be completely the friends fault since he was moving over to avoid the other car

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
shes writing a book she needs better ideas than that.

to the op I checked out the plot to your other book. looks good. unfortunately I don't read books, if I did I would definitely read it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your ideas... I think I am going to have the friend crowd him out, or try an intimidating swerve toward him, the boyfriend swerves, overcorrects and loses control. It is an unfamilar car, after all.

Anyone want to help me make up a name for an intimidating swerve while street racing? It's my book, I can do what I wanna. LOL!
Teri

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Well, there was a crash around here that paralyzed a kid, and it was nasty. He was racing a 96 Eclipse GST down a highway against a WRX I think, and he somehow was racing down a hill with a bend near the bottom, and he went in with too much speed (the eclipse) and understeered into a curb, which then flipped the car over like 3 times and he was in a ditch, and now he spends the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Kinda sad, but at the same time, proves, like that video, how retarded street racing is.

·
Banned
41,336 Posts
Thanks for your ideas... I think I am going to have the friend crowd him out, or try an intimidating swerve toward him, the boyfriend swerves, overcorrects and loses control. It is an unfamilar car, after all.

Anyone want to help me make up a name for an intimidating swerve while street racing? It's my book, I can do what I wanna. LOL!
Teri
I hope you make street racing look and sound as fucking stupid as it really is/I dont think "street racing" is the best idea for a young adult book.I think youd be giving them the wrong idea and make it seem cool

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because the boyfriend dies in the street race (actually happens before the story starts) and the main characters are left to deal with the stupidity and waste of it, I think teens will get the drift. But the modified car scene, car shows and car clubs are fun and exciting. Street racing is actually only a small part of the car scene and most people who love and spend tons of time and money on their cars, don't risk them in races. The only racing scene in my book is one that takes place before the beginning and ends in tragedy. So no worries.
Teri

·
Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Because the boyfriend dies in the street race (actually happens before the story starts) and the main characters are left to deal with the stupidity and waste of it, I think teens will get the drift. But the modified car scene, car shows and car clubs are fun and exciting. Street racing is actually only a small part of the car scene and most people who love and spend tons of time and money on their cars, don't risk them in races. The only racing scene in my book is one that takes place before the beginning and ends in tragedy. So no worries.
Teri
the biggest money spent in the car scene is risked every weekend at the track. they are dedicated to the sport and still race every weekend. blood sweet and tears are not wasted, they continue to flow. we do not stop to think if I wreck this I'm gonna be out all this time and money. we race, if we wreck we look to fix or replace, then continue to race.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you:) As I learn more about the car scene, I am more and more intrigued:) I've been to several car shows and club meets, but I am thinking I should get my ass to a track to see it in action, even if track racing doesn't figure into the book.
Teri

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Teri
Word out! I get the drift. :hehe
Ha ha, this would be a funny pun.

This member, Terijbrown, is long gone so here is my advice for her story.

1. Crash and burn. Basically, cars don't blow up. That's the movies. A gas leak or NOs leak can ignite and cause a fire. A driver could die from that if he is knocked unconscious from the crash because he wasn't seat belted in. The fire could prevent people helping the driver.

2. Idiot drivers in fast cars usually die on the scene from crashing into a tree or flipping their car and getting ejected because they weren't seat belted. They crash in a race situation not because they can't handle driving fast in a straight line but a turn or curve is entered too quickly and then the driver over or under corrects with or without braking.

3. The set up for the whole race scene would go down like this...

Johnny, the boyfriend, is at a Taco Bell parking lot with his homeboys, a bunch of other gaylords; one driving in a Honda Civic with an eBay fartcan muffler, another in a Toyota Corolla with a 56" wide eBay spoiler, another in a Ford Focus ZX-3 and another one in a Nissan Sentra with a custom-made F1-style snorkel air intake on the hood painted in primer gray. They are all gathered around Johnny's Subaru WRX that he just bought used. It has modified parts installed by the previous owner and is ready to race. Johnny is an Initial-D otaku and he is excited to race the local Seattle street race hero, Taro Komatsu. Taro drives a Toyota Supra. He's a rich kid's son and has all the makings of a playboy. His posse is also a bunch of gaylords but they drive nice cars like Mazda RX-7s FD-3s, Infiniti G35s, Mitsubishi Evo IXs, and Acura NSXs.
Johnny's girlfriend, Susan, calls up Johnny. Susan works at a coffee shop and won't be able to meet up with him until after 10 PM. Johnny and his group drive to a secret Seattle hot spot for ricers... where Taro hangs out too. It's 9 PM and they are cruising down a dark parking lot. At the end is an empty strip mall, it's hopping with activity. Music is playing from someone's car stereo. People are talking and women (who knows how they got there but it's a book) are dancing.
Johnny has this look of anticipation on his face. He shifts gears as he pulls up near the other cars and lets the blow-off valve whistle away. Johnny smirks. Taro looks over. Bobby, Taro's friend, asks, "Who's this gay clown?"
Johnny and his friends park their cars and walk over to Taro.
Taro is leaning on his Supra and nods at his friends. They walk over to Johnny.
Johnny says, "Hey Taro."
Taro responds, "Hey. So you bought Greg's WRX?"
Johnny, "Yeah. It's fast."
Taro laughs :hehe, "Fast... if you know how to drive."
Taro's friends all laugh. :hehe
Johnny laughs,:lmao pauses and says, "Funny... funny, maybe you want to race?"
Taro facial expression turns serious :mad, "How about right now?"
Johnny asks, "Around the mall parking lot? I'm ready."
Taro responds, "No, on the street. Here to the 7-Eleven and back. That's two miles of..."
Johhny cuts in, "Yeah, let's go!"
Johnny gets in his car and starts it up. He looks down at the nitrous oxide switch and flashes back to the day he was looking at the car.
Greg points at the nitrous oxide switch, "You need to be careful with this... you don't want to be at the high end of the tach or it's gonna blow the engine. You might not be ready for the boost so be careful..."
Johnny returns out of his flashback and drives up to a make shift starting line.
Taro revs his engine at the starting line, "When Bobby drops the flag, that's the start."
Bobby runs up to a curb in front of their cars. He points at each driver and raises the flag.
Johnny starts to rev his engine higher.
Bobby drops the flag.
Johnny floors the gas pedal and presses on the nitrous oxide switch. The car screeches off the starting line. Johnny has trouble controlling the car since his right hand off the steering wheel and on the nitrous switch. His car veers off the parking lot driveway, over a curb and into a light pole. The WRX is upside-down. Johnny was thrown from the passenger window and the car rolled on top of him. Taro brakes his car up ahead and turns around...

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
very typical ricer story tho. Sounds about right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.