Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the wrx is a pretty quick car out of the box but does any one know if there are any bad sides to it, like with our cars the lack or torque, i heard the 02 models have weak tranny and the 03 will have i better one, i think someone said that in a post in here. ALso are there web sites that sell subaru oem parts like the underbody kits for cheaper than the dealer. what do you all think of the wrx?

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
IMHO the tranny problems are caused by abuse (5k+ RPM clutch drops) more than anything else. However, it is possible that Subaru got a bad batch of gears. People need to realize that the WRX is a rally car, is was not made for the drag strip. I have a friend with a low 12 sec GSX, he has broke 3 trannys in the past year (all at the drag strip). I don't believe Subaru has had any more problems with the WRX tranny, than Honda has had with the syncros in their trannys.

· Registered
601 Posts
2000 EBP Si said:
IMHO the tranny problems are caused by abuse (5k+ RPM clutch drops) more than anything else. However, it is possible that Subaru got a bad batch of gears. People need to realize that the WRX is a rally car, is was not made for the drag strip. I have a friend with a low 12 sec GSX, he has broke 3 trannys in the past year (all at the drag strip). I don't believe Subaru has had any more problems with the WRX tranny, than Honda has had with the syncros in their trannys.
Ditto

· Registered
302 Posts
I've heard (no experience here just heard) there is a roll off in power near the redline. The turbo has a hard time breathing at high revs. It's nothing an up-pipe and a cat-back couldn't fix but it is a problem when you leave it stock.

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
Yeah, the TDO4 turbo is a little small, but the factory boost controller does start to cut boost after 6K RPM. A good aftermarket manual or electronic boost controller does fix this, but boost still drops by 2-3 psi at redline (7k RPM) because the turbo runs out of steam. The turbo is up to full boost (14.6 psi) by 3k PRM, but with a catless uppipe and downpipe it will spool up about 500 RPM sooner.

· Premium Member
9,316 Posts
2000 EBP Si said:
Yeah, the TDO4 turbo is a little small, but the factory boost controller does start to cut boost after 6K RPM. A good aftermarket manual or electronic boost controller does fix this, but boost still drops by 2-3 psi at redline (7k RPM) because the turbo runs out of steam. The turbo is up to full boost (14.6 psi) by 3k PRM, but with a catless uppipe and downpipe it will spool up about 500 RPM sooner.
14.6 psi by 3k RPM!!! I can deal with that:D

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much did you pay for yours? what is subarus's finacing rate do you know? I would like to buy one but i would want to get it for invoice at $22K

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
I paid $26K for mine, sticker was almost $27K. Good luck getting on at near invoice price, sales are strong and dealerships are having a hard time keeping them in stock. The dealership I bought mine at sold all six of the ones they had in stock in less than five days.

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went today and they had two and they were both marked maked at like 25, 26 K. I cant see spending that much more when msrp is 23 K.

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
MY2002: MSRP $23,995 + dest. $525 = $24,520
MY2003: MSRP $24,195 + dest. $525 = $24,720

What options did they have on them? They were probably loaded with options, like the spoiler, boost gauge, armrest extension, upgraded stereo, and stuff like that. Or maybe your dealer is price gouging (like they did on the S2K). The first 10,000 WRXs they brought over in mid 2001 sold out in less than 3 months. The 18,000 they brought over this year are almost gone (in 9 months time). The next run (MY2003) is scheduled for 25,000 units.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
My friend has one and he complained of the crud tires too. Why is it that companies put crap tires on their performance cars (aka Civic Si).

Other thing is how high the car sits. Great for rally and winter, but sucks for performance :)

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
Yeah, the stock Bridgestone RE92s suck ass. What really sucks is that tirerack.com sells Bridgestone SO-3s (in the stock size) for the same price as the RE92s :confused: The RE92s may be good for all around driving, but they squeal like a stuck pig when asked to do any sort of performance driving.

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
MY2003 has a illuminated ignition switch, black (instead of white) lettering on the power door lock button, and a new Sonic Yellow color is available.

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So what do you think about the Sti? do you think they will bring it over, Im just wondering if i should hold off for that, Most likey it will proably be like 30K i would imagine, Im going back to the dealer tomorrow and seeing if they can get me one with the standard equipment and nothing else for 22.

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
The STI should be here in 2003 (according to dealers), I know a couple people with down payments on them already. I have heard that they are already all sold. I'm guessing that they will be $30K+, but nobody knows anything about them yet, not even the dealerships. All we know is that they are coming and they should be awesome.

· Premium Member
9,316 Posts
2000 EBP Si said:
The STI should be here in 2003 (according to dealers), I know a couple people with down payments on them already. I have heard that they are already all sold. I'm guessing that they will be $30K+, but nobody knows anything about them yet, not even the dealerships. All we know is that they are coming and they should be awesome.
0-60 in 5.4 seconds :eek:

That sounds like some fun :D

· Registered
57 Posts
how much boost can a stock wrx take before you hurt it?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.