Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called a local body shop about haveing my sideskirts and type r lip painted and they told me $300 does that seem high to anyone else?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
It also depends how much paint labor costs per hour in your state, in CT I think it was $83 an hour, but in AZ it's about $68. or you could do it yourself for about $30. You figure prep, painting etc, will take anywere from 1-3 hours and bam, there's your $300.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i don't think you can compare something like this...although it might be high, you could be paying for the best damn paint job you ever got.

·
Registered
201 Posts
when I got my lips and sides painted I got qoutes from 200 all the way up to 500 hundred. Its pretty much up to who you want to paint them and there quality. I got mine painted and payed 300. they look great.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
Yeah, it will all depend on how well they paint your kit as well. Got all 4 pieces of his WW RS Type II painted for $200.00 but the painting was the best. It looks good if you're just looking at it, but if you're really examining it then you would notice that some parts are rough and painted incorrectly. So if you're paying 300.00 then I would make damn sure its a good job. But I would guess it would take about a little under 300.00. Most places around here cost about 400.00 for all 4 pieces so 300.00 for 3 doesn't sound all that bad if this shop is respectable.

Good luck,
Jason

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
ya its going to very everywhere you go. I had a grill shell painted and it cost me 60 dollars. I prolly coulda got the same thing done at another shop for 40 but the shop i went to has an awesome reputation and they do alot of custom work and i've seen the stuff they do....very good. That price doesnt sound too high if its a good shop.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is that the only quote you got? It doesn't sound like a bad price. Like other's said, it depends a lot on the quality and the reputation of the shop. But it pays to get at least 3 quotes and ask around to see who's reputable and who does a good job.

Also, you said you called the shop. It always helps (if possible) to bring what you need painted down to the shop so they can see what they have to paint. Some shops will quote high over the phone to cover their ass.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
civickid77 said:
I just called a local body shop about haveing my sideskirts and type r lip painted and they told me $300 does that seem high to anyone else?

lol...i hope when u went to the supermarket u never payed 100$ for the box of rice krispies now did u?:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
i had to pay $350 for my kit to be painted, but the shop that did it had a great reputation and they did a great job on the paint job. so check out the shops work and see if they do a good job and its probably worth it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
if you want some cheap prices..just go to maaco and they'll paint it for you for a lot cheaper...but then again..you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BlitzWidow said:
i had to pay $350 for my kit to be painted, but the shop that did it had a great reputation and they did a great job on the paint job. so check out the shops work and see if they do a good job and its probably worth it.
If it was a full kit i could understand but a lip and 2 side skirts?

big9 said:
if you want some cheap prices..just go to maaco and they'll paint it for you for a lot cheaper...but then again..you get what you pay for...
I will NEVER go to maaco

·
Registered
300 Posts
i have a "hookup" w/ a paint/body shop and he quoted me $700 to repaint just my front bumper! given it'z phoenix yellow w/ metal flake.. but $700, that's absurd

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i have decided to do it myself, I have already sanded and primered the lip, i painted the back of the lip flat black and now i need to sand the front. I started sand the sideskirts but have not finished. I am going to purchase a HVLP spray gun and rent an air compressor and purchace paint and clear coat from a local shop or maybe online if they try and charge me out the ass

·
Registered
190 Posts
hey, im doing the same thing also, i have to paint my itr lip and itr wing,, but im lucky,, my car is black so my paint wont be that much money. dont forget to get the flex add thingy to the paint for the lip cause the paint might crack if you dont put that on... good luck and post some pics when you are done.. still sanding mines...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would have just done paid the $300, it will be such better quality and look better and last longer, thats what I did an they look awsome after a year. Why skimp out and go cheap on your baby? You wouldnt giver her APC parts would you? If you do it yourself like you plan to make sure you add a flex additive to the paint or it will crack and flake off, when the skirt flexes. Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts