Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I gotta San Marino lude, and only had it over a year now. Hood and bumper faded badly, look pink, car is overall swirled to hell, what is the best approach to restore the finish, I hope I can save it..

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Get some paint polish. I know meguiars #7 is widely available. Try that on the paint, its also got some good oils and should remove oxidation and what not.

You might also want to pick up a paint cleaner and clay bar kit. Their might be some materials embedded in the paint making things worse.

Then of course you want a uv protectant wax. You need all the help you can get. I think NXT is UV protectant. Ill find out for you.

·
Registered
403 Posts
mike, now come on.... #7 wont do anything to bring back the paint. thats only a glaze to make it more shiny.

First off get a clay bar like mike said. If you just buying products from a local parts store you should pick up some meguiars cleaner wax and some NXT wax. first apply the cleaner wax, buff off. and put on 1 or 2 coats of nxt. or if you have a orbital buffer/polisher go check out www.autogeek.net. Get some Klasse All In One paint cleaner, its expensive but works great. Then you can protect it with Klasse paint polish. Ive used it on red faded cars and they came out great. then you can go over it with your favorite sealant/wax.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Dont let the name fool you. It is a polish.

http://www.meguiars.com/store_megui...fm?parentURL=index_pro.cfm&sku=M-07&store=pro

Also notice all the other names in the "Mirror Glaze" Line:

Speed Glaze
Machine Glaze
New Car Glaze

Notice in speed glaze its actually removing scratches:
http://www.meguiars.com/store_megui...fm?parentURL=index_pro.cfm&sku=M-80&store=pro

--

I used just number seven on a pretty contaminated and dull paint job. Came out amazingly well. Use it a couple of times and youll notice a really big difference. But yeah the cleaner would get things up to par probably a bit faster.

·
Registered
403 Posts
mike_sho said:
Dont let the name fool you. It is a polish.

http://www.meguiars.com/store_megui...fm?parentURL=index_pro.cfm&sku=M-07&store=pro

Also notice all the other names in the "Mirror Glaze" Line:

Speed Glaze
Machine Glaze
New Car Glaze

Notice in speed glaze its actually removing scratches:
http://www.meguiars.com/store_megui...fm?parentURL=index_pro.cfm&sku=M-80&store=pro

--

I used just number seven on a pretty contaminated and dull paint job. Came out amazingly well. Use it a couple of times and youll notice a really big difference. But yeah the cleaner would get things up to par probably a bit faster.
ok, not trying to be a dick here. But i have most of meguiars mirror glaze line. including #80 wich works very well. I havent noticed much cleaning power with #7 and its a bitch to get off, id stay away from it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, guys what is the order I use, this is what I was thinking:

1. Clay bar
2. Swirl remover
3. Polish
4. Wax

And I have all Meguiar's products, but might get something else if it will help...

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
previous member said:
ok, not trying to be a dick here. But i have most of meguiars mirror glaze line. including #80 wich works very well. I havent noticed much cleaning power with #7 and its a bitch to get off, id stay away from it.
Your actually pretty right about that though. But being that its really the only widely avialable local polish thats low in power so its hard to mess up and its shooting for high clarity and reflection....just might take a while to get there.

But yeah #7 changes everytime I use it. Somedays its a PITA somedays its not so bad.

But I believe these Glaze Named products under the mirror glaze line are almost like a glaze. Perhaps glaze / polish combos or at least very fine polish. But they still can polish some. I believe all for maybe one.

You should have seen my applicator. I had to wash it 3 times for one car. It kept turning completely black.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
ck98vteC said:
Ok, I gotta San Marino lude, and only had it over a year now. Hood and bumper faded badly, look pink, car is overall swirled to hell, what is the best approach to restore the finish, I hope I can save it..
Has it been painted before? A 98 shouldn't be having those paint problems. Sounds like it's a repaint and they used single stage paint.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have owned it since 02, and Carfax had no accidents REPORTED, so it's a pastability.
40_Below said:
Has it been painted before? A 98 shouldn't be having those paint problems. Sounds like it's a repaint and they used single stage paint.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
take it to a bodyshop and pay to have one of the painter buff ur car, a detailer will only do more harm then good. I would never let or pay to have a any detailer touch my car, in my eyes there all flunkys

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I still think it has single stage paint on it... or a really crappy base/clear... Buff carefully or you'll destroy it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, after washing it today, the paint on the door jambs and frame is totally brighter and I don't think it's a respray, but i'm not an auto body expert. Anyone here located in Columbus and can help me out?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
red cars just fade, older toyotas was really bad.

Just get some polish and try a small spot and do it by hand, a spot thats out of the way, if it helps then i would get it detailed by someone that actualy knows what there doing and 80% of the detailers out there donot so be careful. but a quick fix if its single stage is the get some zamos (did not spell that correctly) brothers product, its blue wax and its thick but its a cleaner also and will help with ur problem. ive been a painter for over 7 yrs and i do this to my moms black sentra and its single stage and im tempted to repaint it soon.

·
Registered
864 Posts
SpecalK said:
but a quick fix if its single stage is the get some zamos (did not spell that correctly) brothers product, its blue wax and its thick but its a cleaner also and will help with ur problem
Are you talking about Zymol? It's a blue container, can get it at most automotive stores and Target. Or do you mean Zaino Bros.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, detailed the car Friday and must say it turned out well. I started out with Meguiars Gold Class Surface prep/swirl remover, then their Crystal burgandy bottle polish, and finally Gold Class Liquid Wax. The areas that were very faded are at least red now. But I have one question, this stuff has been in my garage for like 5 years, is there any expiration date for these products?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts