·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which one and why?

·
Registered
62 Posts
two words "game library" PS2 has a bigger better one. Microsoft has the technology advantage but is doing little with it. I would rather have a gamecube over an XBOX because Nintendo has a better library of games. Nintendo doesnt have as many games geared towards adults as the PS2, but it is also a great system. In my opinion the best systems are:pS2, GAMECUBE, then XBOX. but that is just my opinion

·
Registered
14 Posts
PS2

I have both PS2 and XBox. I would have to tell you to get the PS2 b/c of the game selection. However, probably in 6 to 12 months, XBox will be the system of choice.

In my opinion, the must have games for PS2 are:
Gran Turismo 3
Grand Theft Auto 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
Final Fantasy X
NHL and Madden 2002

For XBox:
Halo

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
hmm, Most people who own PS2 and Xbox like me will advise you to get the Xbox because there is more of a future for it. Ever since I've been on SHO though, there's always biased opinions against the Xbox. I've done my research on all 3 game consoles, and Xbox is the choice. I don't think you guys realize the games Xbox is coming out with in the next few months. Sure PS2 has a better lineup, but it also had a shitty lineup at the start. Xbox at least has some fairly decent titles. If you look at the future games coming out for both consoles, the Xbox is most definately the choice. Games like Enclave Morrowind and Project Ego are making Xbox owners very excited. All of these games are one player with rpg/adventure elements.

ENCLAVE

PROJECT EGO

MORROWIND

This post is coming from an unbiased PS2/Xbox owner.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
i too appreciate the xbox's and older cheaper dc's ability to display high-res textures.... (shenmue)

This makes a game what it is , sure you can get away with fancy lighting and particle effects and well drawn textures for their resolution.....but the ps2 is really not that great , its already coming to an end graphically. Of course the ps2 will probably have some great games...but im sure sooner or later that wont matter... Im pretty much fed of with ps2's 32fps rate and overuse of the trail filter....just to make it look more fluid....

Also walk up to a wall or something in ps2 and you can basically trip out on the blocks.....or walk up to a wall in xbox , and read the calorie intake on a can with 60 other objects....

Also the japanese controller 4 xbox will hopefully come to america.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either choice. XBox WILL have a great game library in the future, plus the game programmers will use the full capabilities of the XBox. Sure, XBox is the most powerful system, however, I still play my 8-bit Nintendo quite often!

-XBox/PS2/NES owner.

You'll be happy with either system.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Well, GT3 A-spec got me to buy the PS2. And so far, I only have 2 games since. The thing is that some games are like must haves for me. If they would have Gran Turismo on XBOX, that would be tight but its not gonna happen. And as it seems, PS2 has huge popularity, and even if its under-powered, it'll still have its huge fan support. I also bought a Dreamcast when it came out hoping that Sega would be back in the thick of the industry, but for some reason, they pooped out. So now, I've decided to buy the console which has the most popularity, thus having the utmost longetivity. The XBOX is a nice system, but if the games will be better in the future, then I will buy it in the future, theres no real point of having to have it right now. And it'll be cheaper too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
silly children..how can you say xbox is the future. do you actually think sony is just going to sit by and let microsoft win? give me a break.

lets start comparing..

ps2 has not only all those great ps2 games..but psx games also

xbox..has xbox games..and believe it or not..they have almost no exclusive games..the games that have been recently anounced as exclusive to xbox are coming to either ps2 or gamecube

xbox has a 8gig hd...ps2 will have a 40gig hd

and now i have to go..if i remember i'll post the rest of the reasons why ps2 is the way to go..<yes xbox is still a good idea..but ps2 is better in my mind>

later

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
xbox can copy cd's to its HD , it has an actual graphic that moves to the music instead of ps2's plain player , xbox has progressive SCANNING, 1920 on horizontal resolution , Even gamecube has progressive scanning....the ps2 doesnt....its on the way out my friends.

PS2 has major anti-ailising problems , while GC and xbox have major systems or methods to stop this....(xbox has tons of resoltion and high-res textures support. GC looks so rounded like someone they have rounded polys.... PS2 every single game has anti-ailising problems...And its always a choice of speed and no filters or 32fps and filters.

PS2 cant really grab big manufacturers in car games..... Bill gates goes out gets ferrari , porsche and pretty much every car gt3 couldnt get because of money........Not only that Project gotham is able to bash and crash them.....which costs yet again a crap load more because companies said they dont want their nice cars getting all bashed up.

Theres a ton more filters...More ram , Better quality sound , It goes on and on.....

Only drawback is you have to buy a dvd controller to get it working....but you dont really need a memory card so there yah go.

The cord is also a lot longer on the xbox , and has a anti-trip feature. Also the xbox is 2times quieter than the huffy and puffy ps2.....it doesnt come with hd , and you need a usb network adapter , while xbox has a direct link. But its also 2times as big...

:rolleyes: You decide....

Also 2002 xbox is suppose to realease the most games ever for a system.....just wait till novemeber....Well be getting more games than you can deal with.

The only drawback or behind the scene thing I think is going down , is the XBOX is scarrily like the DC , From buttons to how games look and play..... And heres the kicker for those that know DC, it says powered by windows CE a version of windows made for smaller things, i think xbox took that old ce operating system from DC and upgraded the shit outta of it and tada XBOX. Whos with me on that one?

Either way once i saw shenmue on dc , and how well things looked....i was ok with things.. ;)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I would say PS2 because the games are just so much better. Some of my freinds have the XBox and it's ok, but I have a PS2 and I think that it is much better. The only good games for the XBox are Halo and NFL Fever. But with the PS2 you have GTAS, GT3, Tony Hawk 3, and many other greats.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
mike_sho knows his shit... a lot of you are basing it on personal experience and never have played some xbox games.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
tyooning said:
mike_sho knows his shit... a lot of you are basing it on personal experience and never have played some xbox games.
Yeah, thats the point. Hey, they can play whatever makes them happy, right?

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
I think either way. There all great systems.....i think somehow ps2 does play dvd's back better in game....

ps2 has great games , will continue to have great games , great controllers and great gameplay and playability

xbox has great graphics , will have great games , and will hopefully get the japan controller (its a lot smaller)

gamecube is great , has good tiny ass games , its portable , only drawback it doesnt play dvd's or have full dvd storage , but its also 100 less , and will rock zelda / metroid / mario the OG game charcters of the world ;)

But if you have a new hdtv which supports progressive scanning....xbox rocks. Sadly there arent many good games to get.....but the games are somewhat better than ps2's first offerings.

And after all that my suggestion. Well figure this , games cost the most.

4 games for gc , and you bought yourself another gc
6games and you have yourself a ps2 and xbox

Meaning if you buy an xbox , ps2 , and gc you spent = 800
Buy 2 games 6 X 50 each = 300 + 800 = 1100
Now look at your typical ps2 owners 300 for ps2 , plus 10games = 800 dollars , memory card 30 , another controller 30 , and so on...
You notice how quickly games can add up. You before had 3 systems with 2 games each , now thats some mixed up and fun playing....while on the other hand some guy went ps2 crazy and spent the same and never got to check all the good stuff.

So basically if you buy all the systems dont go game crazy and only buy the best stuff , you might come out on top ;)

In other words , all game systems are sold to get you to buy games , thats where everyone makes money. If you dont go ape crazy , you can get all the good games from each system and look like a pimp at the same time.....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hey, I might try that. But PS3 could come out by the time I get that deep. Anyways, what about being able to play pirated games? I know the PS2 so far can be modified to play burned games cuz I have one. My brother went to Asia and bought this little thing called SBOX that plugs into the USB slot and has to buy other stuff such as gameshark, then solder a little wire inside then whoo hoo, I'm playing burned DVD games that he bought for 5 bucks each.
I'm wondering, how does the other systems are open to pirated games? I know Microsoft hates piracy with a vengeance, and that GC disc looks hard to duplicate.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Yeah ps2 plays burned games , cd or dvd.

You can get this one modchip so you dont need anything. Just pop in and play.

www.playstationmods.com

But yeah all the systems its hard to say which is best.....one has tons of good games , other good graphics and its new , another is new and has good graphics as well......

Its hard to say , just get what you want and go from there....but id keep an eye on xbox and gc's offerings...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts