Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this kit from amico clutch on ebay (254.00 Shipped) and finally installed it on Saturday. The install went well and the fitment was good. However I was a little frustrated with the alignment tool! There was a slight amount of free play when I was aligning the clutch, this made me nervous because I wasn't sure if the trans. was going to go back together easily. After roughly putting it into place I connected the axels on either side to make sure that the trans. was in. Everything went together fine from there.

Drivablity:

The pedal action after the install was much improved. (However, I must say that my stock disk was so shot from day one of the motor swap that I dont really know how oem feels.) However, there was a good feel to it. You could definetly find the dis-engament point easily. Throttle response seems to be better and midrange improved. Top end suffered slightly but anyone building a street car would benifit from this kit. Starting off in first you could tell that there was more bite, and I had to remember to give it a little more rpm's to start off.

Overall for a clutch kit with flywheel that was inexpensive I have no real complaints yet. I will test its limits more after the all important break in period and let everyone know how it is. But for now I would reccomend it to anyone on a budget.

On a different note: This kit is relativly drivable for someone who doesn't have much experience driving a manual trans. My girlfriend had some trouble starting off but after a while she got a feel for it. Im teaching her before she buys the 06 sti!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This clutch was put on a 1.6 single cam motor (Stock for the most part). It is a sprung hub, full face organic. Im pretty sure that the flywheel is aluminum but im not really sure. Now the clutch is broken in and I love it. It grabs well there is no judder, and the flywheel seems to have really helped with the lower end acceleration! Your welcome for the infromation. I will keep everyone updated if I come up with any problems. I still think that its perfect for someone on a budget.

·
Registered
56 Posts
sups, just wanna know if you have any 2nd gear slippage because I got the xtd stage 1 in my car right now and now read reviews with everyone that has stage 1 xtd and it slips almost all the time, mine sure does. wells I got an xtd 8lbs chormoly flywheel and was thinking of getting xtd stage 2 clutch system but wanted to know if your 2nd gear pops out on high revs? and yeah I have an ACT pressure plate that is still brand new not used was trying to get everything piece by piece but if your interested let me know I'll sell it for 70 plus 15 bucks shipping.. wanna sell it so I can just build up money for xtd stage 2 clutch system. before I install flywheel in my car.. :) wells hit me backs up with some info of your clutch thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts

Typically any clutch slippage *especially* with a new clutch is because you did NOT resurface your flywheel(MAKE IT FLAT) even if you don't think it needs it DO IT. Otherwise you just wasted your money on a clutch that will never seat in right due to the lack of a flat surface for it to bed into. This is due to INSTALLATION ERROR. Or not following the directions and letting it 'break in'. As for your popping out of second gear - transmission abuse from trying to 'grab' second gear - wears on your trans bearings and synchros.

HENRY

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
festivagt said:
Typically any clutch slippage *especially* with a new clutch is because you did NOT resurface your flywheel(MAKE IT FLAT) even if you don't think it needs it DO IT. Otherwise you just wasted your money on a clutch that will never seat in right due to the lack of a flat surface for it to bed into. This is due to INSTALLATION ERROR. Or not following the directions and letting it 'break in'. As for your popping out of second gear - transmission abuse from trying to 'grab' second gear - wears on your trans bearings and synchros.

HENRY
Henry, if you had taken the time to read the thread you would have seen that he has an aftermarket flywheel, so to assume thats the problem is incorrect.

Also broken motor and or tranny mounts are most likley to make the car slip out of gear, not syncros.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Yes, he HAS - but he HAS NOT( or at least is referencing the flywheel like it isn't installed) installed it yet - "wells I got an xtd 8lbs chormoly flywheel and was thinking of getting xtd stage 2 clutch system" - I personally have a small mound of trannys that are all messed up, one of the biggest probs - inability to find or stay in gear - I rebuild them when I run out of good ones - almost every one needs synchros and bearings, occasionally a shift fork. These are used on my 450ish whp teg. And my friend, I have a set of almost new HASPORT urethane mounts in it. Bad mounts might do it but abuse takes the crown. Care to comment?
HENRY

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
DriftKingBP said:
honda trannys are famous for syncro probs though.
Actually not really. Whenever someone has tranny problems they automatically blame synchros because its what they have heard before. Quite often its just been abused and has a bent shift fork. My old tranny had 154k on it and still shifted like butter.

Anyways, if someone is trying to solve an issue with their clutch/fly, lets create a new thread for it and just put a link in this thread to the new problem thread. Lets not diagnose here as this is intended to be a review forum and needs to stay on topic.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Your right - Sorry about that.
HENRY

1 - 10 of 10 Posts