Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, heres the scoop, i got a y5 engine in my 99 ex, i wanna swap a y8 head on it and i can pick up a rebuilt pretty damn cheep, the problem is i lack the tools and expertise to swap the head myself, about how much would installation cost, with just the labor and stuff? if anyone can comment it'll b a great help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
98civcEK said:
if you own a USDM 99 EX you don not have a y5 motor. you have the y8. if your engine code is the y5 then you have a hx.
hehe, you just made him sound like a dumbass :number1

nice.....


hey got a quick question on this subject though?

what is a frankenstien?

what is a mini-me?

and how much horse can you expect from this mod?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
RichyRichaPC said:
hehe, you just made him sound like a dumbass :number1

nice.....


hey got a quick question on this subject though?

what is a frankenstien?

what is a mini-me?

and how much horse can you expect from this mod?
SEARCH!!!!! its only been cover like a bazilion, trilion quadrilion times
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the y8 my car came with blew up 4 days after i bought the car, my mechanic put a y5 in it, and for this reson, i have a y5 in my usdm 99ex, i was in a jam and it was quick, and i had no idea the concequences, so back to the question, y8 head on a y5, the overbuilt ported y8 head for 300$ will put my y5 way over the regular y8 that i started with, so i was wonder how much a head swap would cost with just labor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
still running p2p, and it's only running 12 valves till about 55k, so i donno what to do, i just assume buy a vtec controller, but not many work with the vtec-e, and i'd probably be better off just getting the y8 head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,273 Posts
dantheman99ex said:
still running p2p, and it's only running 12 valves till about 55k, so i donno what to do, i just assume buy a vtec controller, but not many work with the vtec-e, and i'd probably be better off just getting the y8 head.
i would definately try to find the y8 head somewhere. and just out of curiosity why in the world did the mechanic put in the y5 instead of the y8????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
he's one of those, "o it's a single cam honda vtec engine," like they r all the same or something, BS,then i told him what he had done and he acted like it was no big deal, but i'm the one losin sleep over it, but neways, it's just bolt on? do i need anything else besides the head to make it work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RichyRichaPC said:
hehe, you just made him sound like a dumbass :number1

nice.....


hey got a quick question on this subject though?

what is a frankenstien?

what is a mini-me?

and how much horse can you expect from this mod?
Well they both r the same, it's basically any d series head swap, they can make about 10-30 h/p depending on the application, and that about sums it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,273 Posts
dantheman99ex said:
he's one of those, "o it's a single cam honda vtec engine," like they r all the same or something, BS,then i told him what he had done and he acted like it was no big deal, but i'm the one losin sleep over it, but neways, it's just bolt on? do i need anything else besides the head to make it work?
what an idiot

but yeah its basically bolt on. you may want to get new head studs, and all the gaskets on the head. the timing belts are the same so no worry there. you have everything since he just swapped the motor. just having the right tools is the thing.....torque wrench to make sure everything is to spec and such.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,384 Posts
im not so sure this would work well. the y5 has alot more emissions controls than the y8 does, and i can't for the life of me see how that mechanic put a y5 in to run on a p2p ecu.

that's plain ridiculous. I would take it back and demand either:
1)the proper ecu
2)the proper engine
3)my money back for parts

in any case i'll be selling a y8 head in june/july if you want to wait that long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IISaiNtII said:
im not so sure this would work well. the y5 has alot more emissions controls than the y8 does, and i can't for the life of me see how that mechanic put a y5 in to run on a p2p ecu.

that's plain ridiculous. I would take it back and demand either:
1)the proper ecu
2)the proper engine
3)my money back for parts

in any case i'll be selling a y8 head in june/july if you want to wait that long.
yeah that may be the right time, but yeah i went up there and he said i'd have to pay for any modification(i.e. Ecu, head, ect.) he said my dad signed the work release so i have nothing on him, which sucks because i'm paying for it anyway. i got fucked, but i need to move on, look to the future of that civic, and bore the lag till i can afford to modify it, i just wanted to start pricing it out asap to see what i can shoot for.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top