Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i decided that the y8 tranny would be the next in the line up of mods. Im assuming that all i need is the y8 tranny and it bolts right on...right?

Sence im gonna do all of that i might as well through a better clutch on with it. What brands would you guys recommend for this? Do i have to get a new flywheel or other parts if i do that?

any info you guys can throw at me will be great! help a noob out! :w00t

-jef

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Yeah, best doing the flywheel & clutch while the tranny is out, only takes a few extra minutes. But FYI you will need a set of 12-point sockets to do those, and a torque wrench. You can hunt around and find lightweight flywheels for less than or right around $200. I got a Clutchmasters, but there are many brands now. I use a Centerforce 2 clutch, but as it's the only aftermarket clutch I've had I got nothing else to compare it to. I'm sure there are better ones but there are definitely much more expensive ones, mine was like $200 with the T/O bearing.

Yes the Y8 tranny bolts right up, the casing and everything external is the same as your stock one.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
Is there any write up on how to install the new clutch and flywheel?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
xBenSETSfiRex said:
Is there any write up on how to install the new clutch and flywheel?
Once the tranny comes off, it's as easy as just unbolting it. The clutch has 6 bolts holding it on, and a D-series flywheel has 6 bolts. Just remove and install in a crossing pattern like with lug nuts, when you put them back on torque the flywheel bolts to 80-85 lb/ft and the clutch bolts to like 20 lb/ft I think.

lemonracer said:
are there kits that come with a clutch and flywheel?
do i have to replace the flywheel to have a new clutch? or stage 2?
You dont HAVE to replace the flywheel, but typically you should at least take out the stock one and have it resurfaced to prevent early slippage of the new clutch. I was glad to just have the new lighter one sitting there for a quick swap out. You might find a shop that puts packages together, but it's not like you need the same brand of clutch & flywheel, just look for the best deal on each.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
It sounds like a fairly easy project. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed an act streetlite flywheel and exedy stock replacement clutch, and am very pleased with both. I would definantly recommend a lightweight flywheel if you have the money, it gives the car a whole different character.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
Are the lightweight flywheels safe for boost too? I plan on boosting in the future.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
prostreetonline (sho sponsor) sell combo kits... i think they may be on sale even right now...

unless you're going to have over 200 hp in the near future, i wouldn't worry about getting any clutch over an oem replacement, stage 2 is unneccesary for a street level trim of hp (like i said, anything around 200) lightweight flywheels will be fine with boost, just as long as its not a crazy amount, but i doubt you'll be doing that much, seeing as how you haven't figured this out for yourself already... ;)

as for overcoming lag, it would seem so, but it all depends on the application.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
i plan on boosting 8-10 psi. not too much. hoping to get to 200hp with the boost and some internal work.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
ATT. something you guys should understand.

There is no need to get a 6 or 8lb flywheel on a street car,stay around 10 to 12lbs and you will see better response with out the annoying BS that surrounds superlight flywheels in a daily driver

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
I just read about that actually. The one i was looking at on ebay is 11lbs. So thats a safe weight.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
xBenSETSfiRex said:
I just read about that actually. The one i was looking at on ebay is 11lbs. So thats a safe weight.
yea the 6/8lb one are ok to use but IMO they suck on the street as far as it makes it a PAI after a while

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well my plans changed agien...im not getting the y8 tranny...instead im getting the ZC motor! its cool and sence my shop will let me leave it there while i do some things to it. Any suggestions? i know a guy that will port-n-polish for me and im gonna get a new stage 2 clutch...

i think i heard somewhere(onthissite) that you can use crx Si pistons to up the compression?!?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
yes with crx si pistons you will up the compression,hell if you have it apart you might as well throw some B18B rods in it also

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.