Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 92 si and i want 2 get pullies and an intake b4 winter. i'm planning on getting aem pullies but i live in vancouver so i dont want a cai, dont wanna risk it. would there be a 0% chance of hydrolock with a short ram like aem, dc, etc. or should i just get a k&n drop in filter??? thx 4 the help

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
it would be possible to get the filter a bit wet but unless you drive into a lake you wont ingest any water.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yes, go ahead and get the short ram. The only way it would hydrolock is if the filter is submerged in water. The gains are most likely better with the short ram than with a drop-in, plus the short ram will sound better.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Go Ahead and get the cai. Then you can get this little thing called
the bypass valve. Thats whats it made for

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've heard that the bypass valve wont do you any good if there is enough water around... But it all depends on your city, how good is your sewer system? Do the streets flood often? Will you be taking your car for a swim? Personally I got the C.A.I but from experience (hydrolocking my integra) I know what I can drive in and when to put on the stock box.
:gundam1:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Before I turbo'd my civic i had the cai and bypass valve and i tried to test it. What i did was took a bucket of water and dipped the the filter part of the cai in the bucket while it was still attached to the car. The car was on , and i did notice that the car sounded like my hand was over the open intake tube, but it never got hydrolocked

·
Registered
466 Posts
Before I turbo'd my civic i had the cai and bypass valve and i tried to test it. What i did was took a bucket of water and dipped the the filter part of the cai in the bucket while it was still attached to the car. The car was on , and i did notice that the car sounded like my hand was over the open intake tube, but it never got hydrolocked

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
2kBlackPrelude said:
I've heard that the bypass valve wont do you any good if there is enough water around... But it all depends on your city, how good is your sewer system? Do the streets flood often? Will you be taking your car for a swim? Personally I got the C.A.I but from experience (hydrolocking my integra) I know what I can drive in and when to put on the stock box.
:gundam1:

The bypass valve works great. I have had to drive through some pretty deep puddles before, and have had no problems with hydrolocking my car.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'd say cai,u wont regret it,but do get the bypass valve because it has been tested and works,and it will give u a better feeling when its pouring out and your driving,I gotta cleanout my intake though,alot of people say they get alot of dust inside they're intake due to the bypass valve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the replies, i'm probably gonna go with a short ram. i'd feel safer and the streets were completely flooded a couple times back in sept. puddles from sidewalk to sidewalk

for short ram would aem still be the best? does anyone know anything about the apexi power intake? i haven't heard of anyone with one of those

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.