Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 95 VX hatch, stock w/5 spd (quit laughing) 125k miles. When cold (1st crank of the morning, not necessarily a cold morning) It will make a knocking noise when beginning to pull away or back up. The sound goes away when it's warmed up. It isn't related to engine speed. You can press the clutch & rev the engine & it won't make the sound but when you put it in gear & try to move it makes the knocking sound. Anybody got any ideas?

thanks :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
buddyleebob said:
It's a 95 VX hatch, stock w/5 spd (quit laughing) 125k miles. When cold (1st crank of the morning, not necessarily a cold morning) It will make a knocking noise when beginning to pull away or back up. The sound goes away when it's warmed up. It isn't related to engine speed. You can press the clutch & rev the engine & it won't make the sound but when you put it in gear & try to move it makes the knocking sound. Anybody got any ideas?

thanks :eek:
goes away when warm? wats it sound like to u? wat area do u think its coming from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
my friends vw had that problem with his exhaust. his downpipe was hitting the chassis. my exhaust knocks like that when it rains, but i dunno how to stop it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds to me like bottom end motor knock.........it's not that because it doesn't correspond to the revs. I don't know, I was hoping somebody else might. I'm pretty sure it isn't exhaust noise........ I won't deny the possibility, but it would be the first time I've ever heard an exhaust do something like that.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
Sounds like a tranny problem to me. You said its not related to engine speed, just when its cold and you start to back up or go forward? So I am pretty sure thats a prob. with your trans or maybe a CV joint or something, and my bonneville does the same thing and has been doing pretty much the same thing for a LONG time, when it first starts up on a cold morning I can hear it knock loud, then stop after three or four knocks. I'm talking it sounds like a spun bearing knock. But anyway, I bet its your tranny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
does it make a noise when you turn?
it might be an axle or the axle is not fitting right in the damn!!! i forgot the word for it its when the inner side of the axle meets up with the cranck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
a buddy of mine had a noise similar to that in his accord. went away when it got warm and everything. he ended up having to get some tranny work done. i'll see if i can get a hold of him and find out what it was....at the very least it would be something you could rule out....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
isnbrg9 said:
a buddy of mine had a noise similar to that in his accord. went away when it got warm and everything. he ended up having to get some tranny work done. i'll see if i can get a hold of him and find out what it was....at the very least it would be something you could rule out....
sorry, but he wasn't much help....

he's not a car guy and he said all he remembers about it was that they replaced some kind of seal and he went ahead and had them change out the MTF. he said he would try to find the invoice....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
isnbrg9 said:
sorry, but he wasn't much help....

he's not a car guy and he said all he remembers about it was that they replaced some kind of seal and he went ahead and had them change out the MTF. he said he would try to find the invoice....
Atleast that most likely corners the problem to the tranny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The noise is way more obvious at times. Today it seemed like it was engine related..........just valve noise. When I first asked for help it seemed to be only in relation to motion when cold. I'm gonna adjust the valves & see what everything sounds like. I'm pretty dang sure it's not CV joint related. And my nuts are very tight behind the wheel.............. :D

How about this one?

What's wrong with it?
It needs a bushin set...........
a bushing set????????
yeah, roll it in the bushes & set it on fire!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
buddyleebob said:
The noise is way more obvious at times. Today it seemed like it was engine related..........just valve noise. When I first asked for help it seemed to be only in relation to motion when cold. I'm gonna adjust the valves & see what everything sounds like. I'm pretty dang sure it's not CV joint related. And my nuts are very tight behind the wheel.............. :D

How about this one?

What's wrong with it?
It needs a bushin set...........
a bushing set????????
yeah, roll it in the bushes & set it on fire!
I adjusted my valves a couple weeks ago and it helped alot with knocking noise esp. in the cold starts..try to rev ur engine while it is warming up to see if it is the motor... if it dosnt make the noise unless it is in gear then you know it is a tranny related problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also switched to Mobil 1 for the motor & Redline in the transaxle. Shifting is noticeably better. I've only had it a couple weeks and I don't know what they were feeding it. It's also got a weird miss between 1800 & 2100 rpm. It does it when in motion - most commonly when dropping throttle. I'm gonna do plug wires, cap & rotor when I get some money. Maybe a coil. The miss is just like someone turns the key off & back on real quick. My CRX used to do that....... turned out to be the ignition switch. Another CRX I know of with that symptom, needed a coil. If anybody wants to chime in, I'd be glad to listen. I really love this car but it's a dog.........my 86 si would EAT it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top