Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. this is a complete baffle to me. I've worked on cars for a while but suspension has never been really my game. Here's the story I go out to my car, find a nail in my tire, since I work at a hardware store there are nails all over the place in the parking lot. I need new tires anyway. I get a 2ton floor jack (hydralic) and place it under the support on the front drivers side. I start jacking the car up. I keep jacking the car up, and keep jacking it up and keep jacking it up. Finally, the jack is all the way up, and the damn tire is still on the ground!!! Now, the spring is completely extended and I have about 2 feet from the tire to the fender (might be a little over exaggarative) what's the deal??? the floor jack goes higher than the stock jack so I didn't even bother. What the hell is up with that??? Any ideas? This is totally crazy and I couldn't figure it out. I did not have a chance to jack up a different part of the car. Any ideas?? could it be the shock or the spring having gone bad or something? I mean for real, the tire rose just enough to let the air expand inside it, but not be movable or turnable. Ahhh!!

· Registered
271 Posts
More info would be helpful . . . . like exactly how high did you jack up the car? And what suspension do you have spring/shock wise?

I'd read your sig to find out some of that, but it's humongous & annoying.

I've got an inexpensive 2-ton jack, and it barely went high enough to take off the wheels on my Prelude at stock height. And a civic probably has more suspension travel (droop).

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How i jacked the car up is there... using the jack support behind the wheel right under the door jam. Hydralic jack was used... and the suspension shocks/springs are stock. I did not jack the car up on the aframe of the suspension because teh jack is too tall to fit under it properly.

· Registered
49 Posts
i agree with daemione about the length of your sig. it is very annoying and frustrating having to scroll through all that. it makes me not even want to respond to your post. i mean seriously though, do you really need to list:
- radar dector
- clifford alarm
- shielded license plate
- aem plate frame
- new carpet
.... ect.

i mean c'mon now, seriously though, do you really need to tell everyone about every single thing you have?? trying not to be ass about it, i'm pretty sure everyone who reads your post gets annoyed by long ass sigs.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spikeymike said:
i agree with daemione about the length of your sig. it is very annoying and frustrating having to scroll through all that. it makes me not even want to respond to your post. i mean seriously though, do you really need to list:
- radar dector
- clifford alarm
- shielded license plate
- aem plate frame
- new carpet
.... ect.

i mean c'mon now, seriously though, do you really need to tell everyone about every single thing you have?? trying not to be ass about it, i'm pretty sure everyone who reads your post gets annoyed by long ass sigs.
Ok.... whatever, i don't really give a rats azz, but compare length of signatures my friend, your 'image' takes up just as much space if not more than my signature. but just to make YOU happy... i'll take it off. How is that??

· Registered
49 Posts
first off, i've have had no complaints about the size of the pic in my sig, otherwise i would have resized it or changed it. but i have changed it to avoid any hassles anyways.

secondly, i was not the only one who complained, so i dont' think you should aim your comment towards me.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spikeymike said:
first off, i've have had no complaints about the size of the pic in my sig, otherwise i would have resized it or changed it. but i have changed it to avoid any hassles anyways.

secondly, i was not the only one who complained, so i dont' think you should aim your comment towards me.
I wasn't pointing comments to anyone, you are just the first person I NOTICED the comment from, I must have missed his earlier... =) on top of that it's been a rough day. I was just using it as a reference to compare to something, and the image just happened to be there at the right time =) It didn't bother me, but I figure'd I'd just take the signature down all together. 2 complaints in the same post (the first complaints, i've gotten in the years superhonda has been up)

· Registered
10,923 Posts
So, BTW, did you figure it out, or is your car still sitting in
the driveway with a flat tire?
EDIT: I haven't a clue, or nothing to offer, except when
I'm finally "done", my "sig" will be the most boring extreme
list of shit/sure to blow everyone else's list away you'll ever see...
:D

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have not figure'd it out... the car doesn't have a flat yet, just a slow leak, i air it up every other day.. soooo im waiting for my new tires to come in and that way i'll just have a whole new set =)

· Registered
10,923 Posts
phmracing said:
have not figure'd it out... the car doesn't have a flat yet, just a slow leak, i air it up every other day.. soooo im waiting for my new tires to come in and that way i'll just have a whole new set =)
I had the same problem: back "in the day", when I was a
"playa'", (don't let my screenname "confuse" you :)), I had
four screws, one in EACH tire! Must be an EX, IMO. But, in
any case, the tires lasted long enough to get them switched.
Anyway, the original problem still persists: WTF's up with
your suspension?

· Registered
271 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong. You just don't have a jack that lifts the car up high enough. There's a good amount of droop in the stock suspension, and at stock ride height, an inexpensive floor jack may not do the job.

But then, you never said how high you lifted it up, so who knows.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will try it again today on the other side.... but the 2ton hydralic jack I have is a good floor jack, it will lift a jeep cherokee up without any problems.... the jack was about 3/4 -7/8 the way up and then i started worrying about the other side. and putting too much pressure on those tires.

· Registered
604 Posts
Raise the car like you did with the hydraulic jack about a foot or so. Are you using jack stands?? Don't work under the car without stands... never trust a jack!

Now, put your stock jack under the lower control arm and raise it until the wheel is off the groud. I'd suggest loosening the lugs BEFORE you ever lift the car.

· Registered
657 Posts
i had that problem too, what we did is used 2 jacks taht raise the car abou tthe same height and put about and inch or inch and a half of would under the jack, then jacked up both sides and once and this did the trick, ohh ya and have jackstands in place, better safe then crushed under u're baby

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.