Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've got my bottom end that I'm building right now, but instead of reusing my built head, I think I'm going to sell it for all it's worth, and get a new stock head to put on my turbo engine. My question is what head is better for turbo? The Z6 or the Y8?

I know that the Y8 creates slightly more torque down low, but that it doesn't breathe as well up high as the Z6, and because of the shape of the combustion chamber, it's less likely to detonate. The main difference I know of between the two is that the Z6's ports go straight in to the combustion chamber, whereas the Y8's turn to the side to promote a swirling motion. I'm pretty sure that I'd rather have a Z6 for N/A power, but what I haven't heard oppinions about is which is better for F/I.

·
Registered
478 Posts

you can check the rest in my gallery and on the SOHCHonda.com site, theres many in depth threads about the z6 vs y8

if its a street car, IMO you wont be able to tell the difference between the two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a z6 head on my y8 block... the only difference between the two is int. and ex. port size the z6's are significantly smaller than the y8 ports. i did a port and polish on my z6 head and my ports are now bigger than the y8. i recommend the z6 head if you are going to turbocharge it, the z6 has a .5 lower compression ratio than the y8 so that means more boost. i also recommend the port and polish that makes a huge difference on the z6...

·
Registered
478 Posts
if you mean the squared combustion chamber, yes.. they do come like that from the factory...

·
Registered
11 Posts
no man not true there was not one d16y8 squared from factory...the one i took off of mine is not and u can even type d16y8 on ebaymotors and look at those heads. welding chambers is a performance upgrade many people do if they want to run all engine. if you look closely at the pic above of the y8 head u can see the discoloration where it has been welded and milled.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
ugh... Sometimes I really think that I should get paid for this. The y8 comes with the square combustion chambers as shown from the factory. They have *NOT* been welded up. The square combustion chamber is the simplest way to tell a z6 head apart from the y8 head.

The discoloration that you speak of is from the head gasket.

And I just happen to have a y8 head apart in my living room floor right now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
dude im not tryin to argue with u... now ur just actin like u know it all when in fact u dont and neither do i, but did you even look on ebay??? or look anywhere else or i can even send u a pic of my y8... common sense bro

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I'm not trying to argue either, but I'm trying to prevent misinformation. Go look at your "y8" and you will see that it has the square chambers. If it doesn't then it isn't a y8. Go take a look and report back. Also tell us the casting code on the head. A y8 has "p2p" cast into it... If in doubt, google on "d16y8 quench" .

·
Registered
478 Posts
*throws 5 bucks to kommon*

sigh, you do a good job here man...

i dont envy you tho =)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still can't decide whether to go with a Z6 or Y8... :(

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had a P&P'd z6 layin around here for awhile so one day we put it on my y8 for the hell of it just to see if it would do anything compared to the y8 head...i will admit that the top end was def. a little stronger but my y8 head was also stock and this one was pp'd w/ 3 angle valve job...I prefer my y8 and sold the z6 a day later...What block are u building?I dont think u said...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
99civ said:
I had a P&P'd z6 layin around here for awhile so one day we put it on my y8 for the hell of it just to see if it would do anything compared to the y8 head...i will admit that the top end was def. a little stronger but my y8 head was also stock and this one was pp'd w/ 3 angle valve job...I prefer my y8 and sold the z6 a day later...What block are u building?I dont think u said...
A D16Z6 block bored .5mm over with a 9:1 c/r.

·
Registered
682 Posts
neither, drop in a F22a4/6 accord engine with a h22 mount kit and turbo that..... if someone popped the hood then they would think it was a D series (it is only a little bigger)....... also, its 2.2, can u say low down torque......? plus in have seen stock F22`s take 18psi stock and run for 2-3 years..... i have only seen a couple stock D series (d16`s not 15`s) run with 10-12.5psi for like a couple months.... the F series are way stronger...... mine has 188kl and it runs 17.0`s easy and its 100% stock..... and its auto.... boost your bitches......!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts