Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a zc with a 89 teg ecu. It smokes a bit more than my 89 si, I heard that running this ecu makes it run rich, so is this why it is smoking.? Also he is running a test pipe instead of a cat. It smells too. Thanks

· Registered
3,117 Posts
my friends runs the same ECU, it doest really smoke that much more..........but he ran an 91 Si ECU before and his best time ever was a [email protected] no other changes , just the Teg ECU and he dropped to [email protected] The ECU is worth every penny then some. Don't F**k around with the Si B.S.!

· Registered
78 Posts
The teg ecu has a better fuel map curve. So yes it is going to run rich. I believe you can advance your timing a little and get some NGK plugs (one stage hotter) and that should take care of that for you. But any crx with a zc and a teg ecu is going to run rich.
Later
Don

· Registered
1,135 Posts
soo say im running a 89 teg ecu with my timing way retarded, you think 1 step hotter plugs will help me burn a little more of this unused fuel , teh reason its way retarded is because im also running 11.5:1 compression on 91-93 octane gas

· Registered
798 Posts
OK, the fuel curve is upped, so YES, you WILL run rich. And people wonder why ZCs go through distributors left and right......

Get a ZC ECU to be safe. The Si ECU is too lean, and a lean condition is gonna burn that motor up. At the same time, a rich condition is gonna kill distributors. Do your best to get a ZC ECU< it is WELL worth it in the long run.....

· Registered
78 Posts
Hey I would listen to Phatwhippin_CRX he never steered me wrong in the past. Phat's been around on the old board for as long as I think its been around. He is the Yoda of the dark side. HA HA HA HA HA

Hmmmmm droppedcrxsi seeks Yodaaaa!!!

· Registered
273 Posts
Ok, so I have the mugen chipped ECU, which runs rich. Should I run a different sparkplug or same?

· Registered
798 Posts
Mikey, isn't your ECU tuned to what you've got done though? Or close? It's running rich, but I'm pretty sure that it's only really rich at certain points :confused: ......... possibly. I wouldn't imagine a Mugen Spec program specifially for the ZC being a problem. As for the plugs, I guess you'd run a step hotter (?)

· Registered
209 Posts
Just being curious- how does a a ditributor "die" from a more aggressive fuel map? These are two completely diffrent aspects of the ECU, yet are tied together. The fuel mapping does not change the distributor settings. The MAP sensor (which senses engine load) the intake temperature, the water temperature, the crank angle sensor(determines when to fire the injectors)and the O2 sensor send signals to the ECU to adjust the ignition timing. The timing signals are sent back to the ECU to control the fuel injectors firing and duration. I have done a lot of trouble shooting with the 86 thru 89 teg ecu's (My 87 Teg was throwing codes for almost a year before I found out it was defective injectors causing the code for a defective O2 sensor) and it is unlikely the ECU will burn up a distributor. The main thing that goes out in the distributor is the igniter which is easy to replace. The reason it goes out is due to age, heat, or high resistance from defective caps, rotors, and/or ignition wires.....

· Registered
506 Posts
The 88 teg comp doesn't run as rich. I heard that from a guy on here and I didnt believe him untill I tried both. If you are running a gutted cat you will notice a lot more backfiring than with the 88 ecu. The 88 is faster, and it doesnt leave a cloud if you take off after idleing for a long time. The 89 teg is a naughty ecu man, take off your throttle body and look inside your intake manifold after you have used it a month.... nasty. Man Phatty we go way back you know but Im not feelin this theory of yours that the rich mixture will kill your distributer!

· Registered
798 Posts
I dunno guys........ I can't exactly PROVE this theory lol..... besides personal experience.....

My TPS was busted after my swap.... I was running crazy rich for a few weeks...... well OK a couple months. Next thing you know, my distributor was shot.

Talked to MANY people with ZC's, and a good deal of them running the Teg ECU (which we all know causes a rich condition) were going thorugh distributors like mad.

Now I'm not saying its the entire distributor..... just the cap and rotor..... but it's too coincidental for all these rich running cars to be frying the distributor components for there to NOT be a common cause.....

· Registered
1,893 Posts
ok ok here's my theory on this whole thing.
the theory is that the teg ecu is for a different dizzy and thus is set for a higher voltage, or larger amount of electricity to fire the plug, and thus more electricity is forced through the dizzy. this creates wear on the internal workings of the distributor and thus causes it to wear out faster.
still i have talked to a few people who are running an aftermarket cam on a d16a6 and they don't have any problems running the 'teg ecu. one guy i know has run the same ecu on three different cars, a d16a6 w/cam for 1 plus years and no problems, a d15b2 for about a year with the same cam and no problems and a zc motor with cams and still no problems... i think some people just have better luck than others.

· Registered
1,893 Posts
oh and to add my personal experience, on the beast i ran with a broken tps for a while, my car was in limp mode and redlined prematurely at 7000 rpm. i was running rich as shit, for about 5 months straight, never did i ever have my distributor go out on me, and i took a few trips with that car that were 230 miles one leg.

· Registered
209 Posts
The teg ecu only causes rich conditions at idle, not while driving. Actually, you would rather your engine run rich than lean. Of course you guys running cats, this might be a problem due to the loading up of the cat with excess carbon deposits. I don't have a cat on my ZC setup (we don't have inspections down here) and I am havinga leaning out problem at 6500 rpm in second gear. As for the distribuot going bad because of fuel, if the car is running way too rich and the ignition system is trying to fire the mixture, it is going to have a tougher time due to the extra resistance in the cylinder, which in turn can up the resistance throughout the rest of the ignition system. This is why you guys are probably going through caps and rotors. Hopefully you guys are not running the original ZC injectors that came with the swap. They have been sitting for quite some time and will be gummed up. If the pintle seat can not sit properly, the injector drips fuel into the cylinder causing a rich condition. This is what was wrong with my Integra D16A1 engine and why it kept throwing codes. The injectors were worn out and would drip fuel. Once the injectors were replaced, all problem were solved. I bet this is why some of you don't have problems with your ZC/teg ecu setups, you just got lucky and got a good batch of injectors. :cool:

· Registered
273 Posts
TEG1CRX2 said:
The teg ecu only causes rich conditions at idle, not while driving. Actually, you would rather your engine run rich than lean. Of course you guys running cats, this might be a problem due to the loading up of the cat with excess carbon deposits. I don't have a cat on my ZC setup (we don't have inspections down here) and I am havinga leaning out problem at 6500 rpm in second gear. As for the distribuot going bad because of fuel, if the car is running way too rich and the ignition system is trying to fire the mixture, it is going to have a tougher time due to the extra resistance in the cylinder, which in turn can up the resistance throughout the rest of the ignition system. This is why you guys are probably going through caps and rotors. Hopefully you guys are not running the original ZC injectors that came with the swap. They have been sitting for quite some time and will be gummed up. If the pintle seat can not sit properly, the injector drips fuel into the cylinder causing a rich condition. This is what was wrong with my Integra D16A1 engine and why it kept throwing codes. The injectors were worn out and would drip fuel. Once the injectors were replaced, all problem were solved. I bet this is why some of you don't have problems with your ZC/teg ecu setups, you just got lucky and got a good batch of injectors. :cool:

Good injectors for the ZC would be? price?

· Registered
209 Posts
The good new is that they use standard injectors like most Hondas. They use the same injector as the 88-89 Integra engine, which are 240cc injectors. Venom, Accel, RC Engineering all make good injector replacements. The Venom ones have a 10% higher flow rate (264cc) than OEM and run about $230 for a matched set of 4. That is the other thing you have to make sure about is that you get a matched set. Injectors like anything else can have variables, so a matched set means they all flow exactly the same amount of fuel. All of the above mentioned companies sell matched sets. For Turbo or Supercharged applications, go with the RC ones. They are better suited for those types of applications. As for pricing on the other brands, they all run about the same unless you want to have a custom made injector that flows 550cc (Yes, they make some that large-LOL):cool:

· Registered
798 Posts
Good point about the gusy running stock cats too.....

I know when I was running way rich, the carbon buildup actually frid my cat shut.... that wasnt cool :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.