zc block dohc the block code says ZC and the head isnt the zc one

i think is a
zc block
d16z6 or y8 head

zc dohc
d16z6 sohc

· Registered
184 Posts
I didn't think this would work. Is it on a SOHC ZC? I don't beleive that a SOHC head will bolt up to a DOHC ZC. If it is a SOHC ZC it will work fine sometimes there are coolant problems. As for the times I never guess i just runn and find out.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
doing the z6 head on the sohc zc is the same thing as doing a z6 head on a d16a6......it wouldnt take that much to get running properly other than the wiring issues. if it was a dohc zc then forget about it...ou cant put a sohc vtec head on a dohc motor.

there is a sohc zc vtec motor in japan that is rated at 130hp...i saw the motor yesterday at a japanese engine importer place.

· Registered
321 Posts
Actually... and keep in mind, this is just for arguments sake... You can put a DOHC head onto a SOHC block, and vice versa. The oil passages don't line up properly so they need to be blocked off and tapped and new lines run, but the actual bolt pattern is the same, so it will bolt on. I have put a DOHC head onto a SOHC block, just to see cause I had them lying around, but the compression would be very low with that setup. My point is, it can be done, but pretty much a waste of time and money.

As for the VTEC head on a SOHC ZC block, that would be an awesome setup that should be easily able to produce better than 145 hp right out of the box.

· Registered
163 Posts
OK. Even though both of the engine codes are D series, the heads ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE. The bolt pattern are different (studs). My friend has a DOHC ZC and took the head off to replace the gasket and they are different. I guess anything could be done with $$$$, but its not worth it.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
did you actually get the motor running with the dohc zc head?

· Registered
321 Posts
No, the only reason I tried it was because I got a ZC from a freind with a bad crank and I was contemplating just putting it on the D16 block, but I found someone with a crank so the ZC block is in the shop right now. So as long as I had stuff lying around I thought I'd check my theory out. Everything bolts together fine, if you try to use a D16 head gasket it won't work, so you have to use the ZC head gasket, or modify the D16 gasket, about six or seven coolant passages won't line up on the gaskets, but that doesn't mean it doesn't line up on the block seeing how honda's use an open deck block design. Then, beyond that, it's just a matter of blocking the oil passages off and running lines in their place.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
once zc block it says zc and the head is a d16z6

zc block dohc
d16y8 head --by pushing a botton he turns vtec on
i/h/e

· Registered
2,120 Posts
and yesterday i saw an actual sohc ZC vtec motor from japan. i went back with my friend because he wanted to check out the engine importer place today. i was gonna take a pic of the sohc zc vtec but it was gone:eek:

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did the block say ZC

· Registered
2,120 Posts
yes, the block said ZC

· Registered
1,389 Posts
there are a number of actuall ZC motors teh sohc non vetc witch is the usdm d16a6 same motor diff cams basically the dohc witch looks like teh teg motor,86-87 civic si in japan came with a ZC,and the 85-87 crx si came with it in japan, teh EG civic over sees also came with a ZC witch is very rare. there is a d15 vtec zc also came from somewhere. ALLL are STAMPED ZC thats it no other markings at all.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
these are the zc motors that i know of or have seen:
1.6l sohc dual carbed : 105hp
1.6l sohc : 120hp
1.6l sohc vtec : 130hp
1.6l dohc dual carbed : power unknown
1.6l dohc 1st gen : 125hp
1.6l dohc 2nd gen : 130hp

these are the zc motors i know about...all are stamped zc on the block.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am not stupid i found out that

it can be done with a 96 head is the only one that bolts to the zc "" he post this in other
forum IT CAN BE DONE

he doent have pics rigth now

· Registered
2,120 Posts
so are talking about a sohc zc block with a vtec head or a dohc zc block with a vtec head?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.