Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i try to start it, i hear a strange clicking noise coming from behind the vent, left of the steering wheel. It clicks really fast and then its just dead. If i don't try to start it, and just put the key to the on position the cd player and everything works, but as soon as i try to start the car, the cd player doesn't, and the is no power anywhere. any suggestions??

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sounds like your battery is toast. It could be your alternator, but it is probably your battery. Jump start the car, then leave it running. Test the voltage from the battery terminals with the car running, it should be about 14 volts. If it reads 14 volts your alternator is probably fine, but you should replace the battery.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
yup, that's definitely your main relay. it's a little black box located behind your left-hand side coin tray under the vent. it's held on by 2 or 3 screws i believe. something like $50 at the dealership.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Check the battery first man. You have power until you turn the key and then you have none, right? I have heard the clicking like that before when there is not enough juice in the battery to turn the motor.

Chris

·
Registered
404 Posts
try push starting it...if its the main relay i dont think it will run..
however it could be ur starter is fried,low battery, main relay

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok The clicking is comeing from the main relay. Most likely it is not bad. First make sure you have a full batt charge. Then check all your grounds especialy the ground on your thermastat cover. If it is loose the main relay will click fast and the car will not start. Then swap in a new main relay if all else fails. Good luck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey!

I guess I have the exact same problem! :( Today I went to a friend and after 2-3 hours I wanted to leave. I hop in to the rex... put the key in turned on, rapid clicking (with rapid blinking of the lights (check engine, etc), then start engine... but everything goes OFF (no lights, nothing at all!).. tried some more time, but nothing! The sound ain't coming from the main relay as I can hear... but don't know what's the prob! Any solutions yet ?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
crxrocks said:
Check the battery first man. You have power until you turn the key and then you have none, right? I have heard the clicking like that before when there is not enough juice in the battery to turn the motor.

Chris
This is more than likely right probably your battery connections aren't very good and as soon as the car trys to pull power from it the connection isn't good so it acts like it isn't connected since the electricity doesn't want to jump a gap to get to the cable. It might look fine and it might be kinda tight but you should clean them then connect them nice and tight.

Or your starter is going bad and it's solenoid is clicking instaed of engaging correctly that happens often too. Uually when it does though it means you don't have enough power coming from the battery to keep the solenoid held on so it goes on and off really fast resulting in a clicking. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
when my battery connections aren't good, i don't hear a clicking sound. when i try to start the car, everything just dies...i can get to the "on" position and all the lights are on, but my car would just die otherwise...so i'm thinking it's the main relay.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yea, I had that problem. One day I went to turn on the car, and when i clicked it all the way over I heard a loud "click" and my battery was completly drained. It turned out to be a loose fuse.

I am having the same problem now, I went to click my car over and the same thing. BAM! Battery got drained.... so its just kinda been sitting here at my crib. Anyone know if I get a new starter with a B16 swap? :p

·
Registered
273 Posts
check the battery,starter and alternator

1 - 12 of 12 Posts