Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Zdyne ecu for my rex with a B16 and I want some opinions first. I searched all over and can't find much.

I want to get their top of the line super ecu so when I turbo im good to go.
Anyone have experience with them?
How well do they work?
Let me know what yall think about these....

Zdyne Ecu

·
Registered
714 Posts
Looks great if you have a lot of money and want a Hondata type system for OBD 0. From the website i see many features that look similar to that of hondata systems. However when i downloaded the software i wasnt to impressed. It seemed as if many things i find useful in hondata and crome were not there, some things that are almost downright nessesary. If you want to stay obd0 this is the way to go no doubt. However If you are flexible and would go obd1, then I would take that route instead.

Here is how much my Crome setup cost me:

ECU: $20(i bougt a P09 on ebay for 5 us dollars 20 shipped and converted it for vtec and boost) your price will probably be a lot more, maybe 60-100.
Crome pro: 150
Romulator: 200 (i believe there are cheaper units now)
Max233 adapter: 5 (kit, i built it myself, but the assembled ones cost like 25)

So my setup cost 400(not including my laptop and usb-serial cables), but im obd1 stock so i got out cheaper yours will be more, but from tuning experience obd1 is the way to go.

You will need a conversion harness: 110 from frogenginecontrols.com
And a OBD1 Dizzy for your motor: New cost 180 on ebay.(you can use obd0 injectors as long as you keep the resistor box, its just like putting dsm 450's in an obd1 car and adding the resistor box if you think about it).

So im thinking you would pay about 740 bucks for a completly tuneable system using your "stock" type ecu so that there is no rewiring of the car for an aftermarket system(except the 0bd1 conv), which still isnt bad considering Zdyne wants 695 for thier super pr4 ecu alone and you still have to buy a laptop either way you go. <=That is if you decide to tune yourself, if not save the money on the romulator, crome pro, max233 and other stuff for tuning yourself and spend it at the dyno.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i didn't really want to convert to obd1, i wanna keep it old school :D

you said the software didn't have some of the things you have???
what kind of things are missing?

and i have never heard of what you have CROME PRO, and what is the rummulator for and what is a max233 and how did u convert a non,vtec ecu into a vtec ecu???

I like the idea of staying with my stock ecu and being able to tune it...
Do you have a website that i can check out that has ur set-up.

I feel like an idiot but I am stupid when it comes to wiring and electronics in cars. I just know how to do the swap.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Judging by the questions in your last post i assume you will not be tuning this yourself. If thats the case then the Zdyne ecu will be the only way to have such a system in your car and keep obd0. The tuning will run you about 120-150 an hour at most shops.

the romulator is an "emulator" of sorts that allows you to tune the ecu program in real time, while the car is running. The max233 adapter is what converts the ecus language, ttl, to the computers serial port language, rs232c, and is needed to get the dataloging information from the ecu. Crome pro is basically a DIY tool designed after the Hondata software with many of its same features for a lot less money. Converting a non vtec obd1 ecu to vtec is easy, as long as you are an experienced solderer and have access to the required components. All of this information can be found at pgmfi.org.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea i am not tuning it my self, I want to get the ecu now so when i do boost it either this summer or winter that will be one less thing i have to worry about. I am either going to have altered atmosphere or inline pro tune it. they both are excellent shops. Altered atmosphere got my bro's sti to hit 300whp on pump gas, the car has nothing but an AVCR, titanium exhaust, home made intake, and an HQS SSQ BOV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.